Fight Night

Sodapop's POV

"Then what's it going to be Pepsi?"

I knew there was only one answer I could give. Even if I wanted to say no, I didn't have a choice. Not in this neighborhood. You could get beaten to a pulp and be crying begging for mercy and you'd have more respect than if you didn't fight.

My reputation was the "pretty boy" and I knew it. I had tuff looking hair and a decent set of abs but people didn't fear me. They didn't think of me strong or intimidating like Darry, Tim or even Curly. I could hold my own in a fight but I wouldn't be your first pick to be the guy in your corner. Turning down this fight would only hurt my reputation more.

"I'll fight you Curly." I said through gritted teeth. I crossed my arms and tried to do the patterned Darry stance but I could tell it was off.

"I'll see you tonight Curtis, the lot, ten, bring your second." Curly glanced at Steve with a smirk. "You'll need him."

Without another word, Curly and his guys got back in their car with cocky grins on their faces and drove away.

I heard Steve sigh from behind me and then he spun me around to face him. "What were you thinking?" He snapped.

"I couldn't say no." I snapped back and slapped his hand off of my arm. "I could have used some support though."

"Support for what? Getting your head bashed in by the little punk?"

I stepped away, rolling my eyes. "You don't think I can beat him?"

"Soda," Steve stayed silent, which was an answer in it's own.

"Whatever." I muttered and got back under the car.

"Don't do that." Steve said softly but I ignored him. "Hey!" He yelled and kicked my leg softly. I brought my head from under the car and looked at him. "Come here." He muttered under his breath.

With a huff, I got out from under the car and sat with my back against it. Steve joined me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "I'll support you, I'll even go as far to help you get away with it. But if the fight gets too bad you need to promise me you'll call it off. It's okay if you throw in the towel, as long as you don't get too hurt."

"Yeah okay." I smirked at him. "How do you plan on helping me get away with it?"

"Tell Superman you're staying at my place tonight, then tomorrow when your face is all beat up just say you got jumped, he won't question it."

I wasn't an awful plan, it could work as long as Curly keeps his mouth shut to Tim. I know he said he doesn't care if Tim finds out, but I can't help but think he does. "Alright." I agreed.

"Just don't come crying to me when you get your ass beat for this." Steve joked, though I just rolled my eyes and pushed his arm off of me.

"Fuck you." I stood up with a small smirk on my face. Steve laughed and stood up too. He slapped my ass and immediately snapped around and scowled at him.

He laughed and then grabbed my shirt, leaning in and almost kissing me. His lips were right there, and I wanted them, though Steve quickly stepped back and looked around. "Let's get back to work." He muttered.

I would love to be able to kiss Steve in public, though that obviously couldn't happen. Not just because I have a girlfriend, who I love and adore by the way, but homosexuality was illegal. We could never be actually together even if we wanted to be.

***

That night at dinner, I was a little nervous about asking to go to Steve's. I wasn't scared Darry would say no, but I didn't like lying to him, and this would have to be the first of a web of lies I would have to tell in order to get away with this stunt.