Not The Worst Night Ever

Sodapop's POV

I had an awful day at work, just terrible. I worked a double shift and had to deal with the most annoying customers. Not to mention some Soc stopped by to give me and Steve hell. At round five we were finally done, and we both went back to my house to cool off.

We jumped on the couch and watched the ball game. "Fuck my head hurts." Steve groaned.

"Yeah mine too." I closed my eyes and listened to the game. I heard the sound of plastic and the smell of something burning. I opened my eyes and saw Steve with a blunt in between his fingers. "What are you doing?" I looked around paranoid even though I knew no one was home.

"Relax Pepsi." Steve smiled his crooked teeth at me. He extended his arm out to me but I quickly shook my head. "What's wrong? Sense when are you against weed?" Steve laughed.

"Sense Pony did it. I don't wanna set a bad example for him." I shrugged, even though I really wanted it. I was so stressed and I needed that blunt so much.

"Geez what a wuss." Steve laughed.

"Shut it." I snapped.

"Sorry I didn't mean to upset the baby." Steve ruffled my hair.

"Fuck off." I swatted Steve's hand away.

"Alright alright." Steve laughed again and then took a hit. "Yeah that's nice." Steve smiled as smoke escaped his lips.

I bit my lip and kept thinking about Pony. I needed to say no for his sake. I looked over at Steve and saw a relaxed smile spread across his face. Pony was out doing something with Johnny, he'd probably never find out. Fuck it. I told myself. "Give me it." I threw my hand out and Steve gladly gave me the joint.

I held it to my lips and took a puff. "You know if Darry finds out..." Steve laughed.

"Fuck Darry." I took another hit and let my head fog up.

By the time the game finished, my eyes were red and my head felt like a cloud. Steve and I were laughing so loud I didn't hear the footsteps that came up the porch. "Hey Soda." Pony happily walked over to me. His smile faded away the moment he saw the joint at my lips. Pony rolled his eyes and glared at me and Steve. "A real good promise wasn't it?" Pony stormed off into our room and slammed the door closed.

Steve and I sat silently for a moment. My mind was moving slow, and couldn't process what just happened. I looked at him in panic. I really messed up this time.

"I'm just gonna go." Steve said awkwardly, and then left.

I threw the blunt outside and stomped on it. I then ran into my bedroom and saw Pony sitting at his desk. "Get out." He said without looking up.

"Pony-"

"Don't talk to me while you're high." Pony snapped.

It was so hard to form words or even thoughts with my mind boggled like it was. "Can we talk in like an hour?" I asked with my puppy dog eyes.

"Whatever." Pony still didn't look at me. I couldn't have a conversation right now if I even wanted to. I went back to the living room and fell asleep on the couch.

I woke up about an hour later, my head still held light, but it was a lot more clear than before. I walked over to the kitchen and grabbed some water. I looked in the reflection of the stove and saw that my eyes were still a little red and cloudy. I less than a half hour until Darry would get home, so I had to talk to Pony now even if I was still a little high.

I went back into my bedroom, Pony was still at his desk, writing something in his journal. "Hey buddy." I walked into the room slowly and sat on the bed. "Can we talk now?"