Surface

A/N: Sorry this chapter took a little bit longer to publish, it's extremely long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponyboy's POV

On the surface It looked like life was pretty much back to normal after everything happened. Though the truth was far from what it seemed.

Darry and Soda kept natural smiles on their faces and talked like they were reading from a script of how they should be acting, but that's all it was. An act. When I asked what was going on Soda told me Darry got into a fight with Mr. Butler. Though he didn't say anything else, and I kinda didn't want to know the whole story. All I knew was Darry was acting shady, Soda was acting scared and I was trying to grasp at any normalcy I could.

So that's what I was doing, hanging at the arcade with Johnny, playing foosball and listening to Jailhouse Rock as it blasted through the single speaker in this run down joint.

"Geez man, I can't believe she did that." Johnny gasped after I was done filling him in on what happened with Cherry.

"Believe me I know." I muttered and hit the ball extra hard.

"I can't believe Dally would do that." Johnny shook his head, and I saw how much he wanted to dismiss any faults in his idol.

"Well he didn't know we were a thing. I don't blame him, really." I hated that I didn't, it would be much simpler if I did. But I knew Cherry was the only one at fault here.

Johnny tried to hide the smirk that spread across his face. He really did look up to Dally in every way possible.

Before I either of us got a chance to say anything else, someone shoved me as they walked by and I hit my side off of the foosball sticks. "Watch it." I snapped and turned around.

It was those two boys from Charlie's Bar. The two who played pool against me and Curly. Mark and Bryan were their names I think. "You watch it." The talker one, Bryan snapped back.

Mark crossed his arm over Bryan's chest to tell him to back off and then smirked at the sight of me. "I remembered you." He scratched his chin and then nodded. "Yeah, you're that kid who sucks at pool." He smirked and kept his voice friendly.

"I wouldn't say I sucked." I grinned and leaned against the table cooly.

"Yeah right." He laughed and slapped my shoulder. "You better at foosball?"

"How bout I show you." I moved over to Johnny's side of the table and gestured for the other two boys to grab a hold of the sticks.

Mark laughed and stepped up, grabbing the stryker sticks. "Yeah okay Curtis." I was kinda surprised he remembered my name, I took it as a good thing that he did though.

Just like last time, Mark and I hit it off. He wasn't afraid to throw around witty comments or friendly insults so in return I did the same. When I'm talking to guys in my gang I tend to stay quiet and just agree with what they're saying. That way I stay on their good sides and I don't annoy them by over talking. Though with Mark I didn't worry about that. He seemed to like it when I got snippy because he dished out the same thing.

Johnny and Bryan were pretty similar, both quiet and reserved. Though Johnny was always like that, I had a feeling Bryan just didn't like me. He would glare at me when I made a risky comment, and when I was quiet. I just couldn't win with the guy. He spoke less than Johnny, and only to Mark. I started to think he was Mark's body guard instead of friend.

We played a few rounds and I'm glad to say we won most of them. "I guess your pool skills don't translate over to foosball." I smirked and set the score markets back to zero.