Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

                     “Where are we going?” I asked as I trailed behind him. We were walking through the forest of trees that were across the school, I’ve never strayed so far out here before and besides we were never allowed to be in here in the first place, it was the Forbidden forest of Crosswell Academy. Maybe we were just passing through it to get to the city, but then again I wouldn’t know.

 Jayden looked at me over his shoulder and grinned, “The perfect place for truancy.”

“Is it a creepy alley?” I asked, “With smokers and drunks?”

He laughed, “Close.”

“What?” I asked incredulously, is he serious? I don’t want to go to a place like that.

“Relax, it’ll be just us” he comforted, “When’s the last time you just hung out?”

“er…” I counted the years in my head.

“Exactly.” He put in giving my hand a slight squeeze. With the awareness of us going to a place that was close to being a creepy alley I ought to be a little bit alerted but I wasn’t, not even in the least and the amount of trust I held for him scared me. He seemed to realize this because he paused, “Or we could go to that ice-cream parlor Milkyway if you want.”

I nodded and he encircled me in an embrace, “Still don’t trust me much huh?”

That wasn’t it at all.

“You know what; let’s just go wherever you were taking me, I’ll live.” I mumbled, my voice muffled by his shoulder. Face your fears Alex, today is a day of change.

He let go of me and smiled, “Well, good thing because we’re almost there,” he paused, “But, are you sure?”

“Yeah er let’s hang out or whatever.”

He grinned.

Though ice-cream would’ve been nice, it would’ve also been risky since we still had Crosswell’s uniforms on and officers took it upon themselves to take you back to school, I’ve seen it happen to Chase and his buddies one too many times. Taking my hand again he lead me to a break in the trees, it reminded me of that time at camp when we watched the sunset together, it seemed like so long ago now.

We came out to a large piece of land with a huge abandoned building smack in the middle, no wonder they didn’t allow us in here.

“It’s an old warehouse.” Jayden informed me, “This kid named Wells brought me up here”

“Why?” I asked

“Grand tour of the best bunking spots and stuff,” he shrugged

“Oh.”

We walked up to a back door, the whole building looked rusty and worn, a few windows were broken and clear plastic was stuck over the holes making them billow out when I breeze went by. Jayden unhooked a metal piece from the door and if he hadn’t done so I would have thought it was part of it. The door creaked open and light streamed in making the dusty cemented floors visible and shards of broken glass glimmer. Jayden trudged inside with me tailing behind him, it wasn’t as dark as I expected it to be, the feeble sunlight poured in from the windows and plastic. The walls were filled with heavy graffiti and satanic symbols.

“Or we could go for ice-cream” I muttered as I took in my surroundings, that made him chuckle, “Too late now, Boldy.”

“Hey! I thought we stopped with the nicknames!”