Chapter Twenty Five

Cover made by @sweghlife
Some answers will be given in this chapter~

                        •                   •                    •
Chapter Twenty Five

            I grimaced in displeasure as I watched Chase walk in behind my mother that same evening. Madeline and I were lazing about by the pool, Jayden was gone out and said he wouldn't be back until later tonight. I guessed he was going to spend time with his grandfather. And Emma, Emma was having all sorts of mood swings, she was having a breather up on the roof of the servants home.

I wondered what came over her to act that way.

"You're home earlier than yesterday I see," my mother says as she approaches us. Madeline was quick to get off her butt and look like she was serving me.

My mother was pretty terrifying to the staff.

She gave Madeline a disapproving look and said in a clipped tone, "Not in uniform? What do you think this is? Your father's house?"

I grimaced even more.

Madeline bowed respectfully and apologized profusely before hurrying off to go change. I felt a little guilty, it was my fault for telling her to chill out, but I thought my mother wouldn't be here until later.

"Alexa dear, why don't you go show Chase the new pen we set up since he was last here?" My mother said giving me a look that was both commanding and pleading.

I glanced up at Chase, he looked comfortable, laid back even, and he still donned his uniform which made me question just how much time he was planning to spend with my mother. But truthfully, she was probably dragging him around whether he liked it or not.

My mother's motives were lost on me.

I stood up preparing to leave, "I'm sure he wouldn't want to, it's just a fence"

"No, I would love to." Chase interjected and I glared at him.

"Ah great, be on your way, I have some paperwork to get to." My mother said clapping her hands together. She left us both there, me about to protest and Chase staring at the weakly shimmering pool, the days have been dull lately.

I looked back at Chase and for some reason, I didn't feel intimidated, maybe it was because I felt a strange confidence being at home or maybe because he didn't have that hatred he so liked to show in his eyes.

He just looked like Chase; Chase with no diabolical plans cooking behind his brilliant eyes.

"Let's go then" I muttered walking ahead, feeling a lot like I was leading a monster into my sanctuary to get killed. I wasn't comfortable with showing my back to him and I guessed he noticed that because I was tensed up and stiff.

He walked beside me, "All that bullying Alex- it's exclusive for school only" he was smiling as he said it like it was all some sick joke, "there's no way I can hurt you here what with your nosy maids, relax."

I didn't reply and he didn't care.

Admittedly, it made me calm down a notch. It was a long, silent walk to the barn, the grass was wet and slopped all over the bottom of my jeans.

"What are you doing with my mother?" I asked, it was bugging me for a while.

He chortled, "Not what you think, she showed up at my fathers office, they're either screwing each other or plotting our marriage."

"Don't say that" I muttered, it was a known fear to me, I wouldn't put it pass my mother arranging a marriage for me and one of my ultimate fears was that she'd set me up with Chase.