Chapter One

Chapter One

    I noticed a familiar mop of blond hair coming towards me, my eyes widened and I turned on the spot, I flung open my locker and rummaged through it hoping with trepidation that he didn't notice me. As he drew closer, my heart beat picked up.

Keep walking, keep walking. I urged him on in my head.

"Monroe, darling, just the girl I needed to see, how are ya?" his deep voice - that scared the heck out of me - called.

I turned around as if I was caught red-handed. He stood a good head taller than I was with ice cold blue eyes that mocked me and dared me to speak. His beautiful face might trick you into believing he was a blessing instead of a curse.

When I didn't respond, he smirked running a hand through his dirty blonde hair. "Do you know what happens to people who try to avoid me?" Chase asked

"I wasn't -" I began

"Don't you lie to me Monroe" his expression hardened. His teasing mood shifting altogether, you'd think he was bipolar.

"I'm not-"

"Liar. You piss me off." He spat cutting me off.

Before I could respond he grabbed a fistful of my hair and slammed my head against the lockers. Pain broke out in my head. I staggered backwards, holding my head in my hands. I felt blood trickle down my chin.

"You know Alex, I don't hit girls but then again, I don't consider you one." he sneered in my face, "Besides you make a good punching bag." He slammed me one more time before walking off with a bunch of his cronies.

I slid down the metal lockers and refused to let any tears fall. I didn't know I was capable of so much hate, his very existence irked me. I can't believe that once upon a time I use to love that same boy until he stomped all over my heart.

The people around me avoided meeting my eyes, turning a blind eye like always, some of them used to be my friends.

Good thing it was home time.

I sat there for a while with my face buried in my hands before slowly getting up, I closed my locker softly and walked home.

Once again I felt the world go blank and it was just me, me and the rain. It was better wiping myself from emotions, so when I walked, I walked with no thoughts accompanying me.

A car crept beside me, the driver rolling down the dark tinted window, I was greeted by my driver, Phil, "Miss Alex - please get in" I knew he'd come, he always does but it was better to be alone, I don't have to explain myself when I'm alone. I nodded wordlessly and slid into the sleek Mercedes. I put my bag aside and kept my head low, my hair shielding my face as I could feel tears trickling down my chin.

"Why didn't you come to the car?" Phil asked in a worried tone.

"Didn't see it" I lied

He was quiet for a while before he asked, "How was your day?"

"Fine."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No." I sniffled, hot tears streaked down my face and I tried hard to hold in my sobs.

"You shouldn't let people get to you" Phil advised looking at me through the review mirror. That hit a nerve.

"I don't alright?" I snapped harshly.

He didn't say anything after that. The ride home was a quiet one except for the constant pitter-patter of the rain on the windows. Slowly regret bubbled inside of me. I'd hurt Phil's feelings when he was only trying to help. Why was I so heartless? He pulled up in front of my door, the roof overhead shielding me from the rain.