Chapter 3: Is he dumb or something?

Percy POV

The flurry of red I knew all too well presented itself in the corner of my eyes. I immediately shut my locker and turned to run, but it was already too late. Rachel stood right in front of me while placing her hand against my chest and moving it slowly. I had to admit that it was very sensual, but Rachel and I were over. Her friends (more like posse) stood a few feet back.

"Hello Percy," she slurred as she batted her eyelashes. The action only emphasized the amount of makeup that was covering her eyes and cheeks. "Just when I thought you couldn't get any hotter, I heard you singing."

I was still salty about being forced to audition three days ago. It was like broadcasting my humiliation in front of the entire school, or at least a chunk of the school. Of course, I had blamed Grover and Jason for making me come to auditions in the first place, but in reality, I knew it wasn't their fault either.

My attention turned back to Rachel as she moved closer while traveling her hands up to my neck. I removed them quickly before answering.

"Look, Rachel. We are no longer together. Can you please get that through your head? We broke up weeks ago."

I dated Rachel for a few weeks over the summer because I thought I liked her and I thought she was different than the Queen Bee stereotype she put herself in. Despite my friends' warnings, I tried going out with her, but it turns out she was exactly the person everyone knew.

"Oh please, are you really trying to tell me that you don't want this, Percy?" Then, she did the unexpected and smashed her lips onto mine. I stood frozen before old instincts took over and I kissed back. Damn it, Rachel was a good kisser. Sue me for being a guy. But, just as quickly, I regained control and pulled her off, leaving her in a dazed surprise.

"Rachel, I told you that we're done. I am seriously not interested in being with you."

Her expression changed into a cold glare. Her voice lowered considerably. "You should know one thing, Percy, you're not getting away that easy. I always get what I want. You'll crash into me again maybe not today, but someday." With that, she twirled on her heels and stormed off with her posse behind her. I watched her leave with a heavy head. Rachel was not an enemy you wanted in this school because she controlled mostly everything: the social structure, the politics, and much of the student body. It was true that Rachel usually gets what she wants because she knew exactly how to play the game. Almost like she can see what the future holds and can use that information for her gain.

Long story short, that was not someone I wanted to be with.

The rest of the morning was uneventful. The same old boring lectures and way-too-strict teachers. To me, the point of school was to learn stuff you actually cared about. I didn't care about logarithms or prepositions because my career goals (something to do with water or business) had nothing to do with that material. Especially in the years when students had to explore their future options, you would think school would expand its ways a little.

By lunchtime, I was thankful to the gods that it was Friday. Leo was in mid-conversation about the engine he blew up yesterday at his dad's shop when Jason came running up with a huge smile on his face.

"Guys, oh my god, you won't believe it."

"Woah, Jason calm down and just tell us. You look like how I looked when you got hit with that brick," Leo exclaimed drawing a few laughs from the table.

"Very funny, Leo," said Jason as he threw him a bro punch on the shoulder. "But, this is much better. Piper and I got cast in lead roles in The Greatest Showman. Phillip Carlyle and Anne. They were exactly the roles we wanted. Can you believe it?"

"Congrats man! I told you, you'd get the part" I told my best friend as he continued to celebrate.

"Jason, that's amazing news. Can I see the rest of the cast list? I didn't go by the auditorium or the Arts department today." Grover asked. Jason responded by simply handing over his phone, which had a photo open.

Grover's eyes scanned the phone as Leo and I continued our previous conversation. But, we were interrupted again after a loud gasp came from my best friend's mouth; his face considerably paled.

"G-man, is everything all right?" I asked concerned. He looked very nervous and stressed yet again. G-man actually stood for goat-man because his panic/stressed face made him look like a scared goat. Always has.

He looked up with fear in his eyes. "Ok Percy, you cannot get mad. Remember that this wasn't mine or Jason's fault."

"What are you talking about?" Everyone's eyes were now on Grover, waiting for him to tell us the news.

"Umm, Percy, you got cast in the musical. You're playing the lead, PT Barnum!"

My jaw dropped as I stared at my best friend. Leo ended up choking on his drink, and Jason suspiciously went to get his lunch. This couldn't be happening. I had no interest in being the dumb musical  Hell, I didn't even know what the musical was about, let alone who Barnum was or what he did. I hadn't even seen the movie.

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed. My voice had gotten ten vocal notes higher drawing attention from nearby tables.

"Apollo must've thought that you'd make a good fi-"

"Is he dumb or something? First, he forces me to audition, and next, he casts me in the lead role. Bro, he knows I don't care about the musical. Besides my audition sucked."

"Dude, your audition didn't suck. Surprisingly, you're a great singer Percy, plus you're fairly expressive as well," said Jason as he came back with his lunch. I gaped at my friends as they stared back expectantly. "You guys are joking. Y'all are trying to pull my leg."

They exchanged looks with a serious expression, which showed that they weren't lying. Suddenly, a kid stopped in front of our table to congratulate me on the role. He was the same student that helped with my audition by singing with me. I think his name's Dustin.

I stared at my friends once more. "You know what, NO. There's no way I'm playing a role in the musical. I'm gonna go talk to that crazy Apollo and get out of this mess."

"Wait, Perce-"

But, I was already running out of the cafeteria and towards the Arts hall. I couldn't do the musical. Are you kidding? I didn't sing or perform ever in my life. Plus, there is no way I'm sacrificing swimming time and training to do some play I didn't care for. Ugh, all this was so crazy.

I spotted Apollo's room and quickened my pace. If only I hadn't, then I wouldn't have slammed into the blonde who suddenly walked out of his room. I couldn't stop my momentum and before I knew it, I was laying on the ground on top of her. My gaze locking onto her stormy, yet beautiful, grey eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Hey, Hey

Thank you so much to everyone that has read this story so far. Trust me, a lot more drama and comedy is headed your way, so please keep reading, commenting, and sharing. I'm writing for you guys after all. I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter.

This story is definitely Percabeth, but please add any suggestions for me that could add more drama in their relationship because I live for drama 😝.

Also, music while writing/reading - yes or no?

Like always:  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE:  READ  +  SHARE  +  VOTE  +  COMMENT