Chapter 19: Are You Sure?

Percy POV

I had a horrible week. It started great with swimming again and practicing new dance routines, but then, it fell apart. Annabeth absolutely refused to talk to me despite how much I tried. 

I hadn't done anything wrong, had I?

It was true that I didn't tell Annabeth that we kissed, but I didn't think it was necessary. It was just a kiss that I stopped within a minute. Plus, she had enough going on that night without adding the awkwardness of a make-out session with a friend.

Friend. Gods, I don't think we could even call each other that right now because she hated me. 

***

"Bro, what is going on with you and Annabeth? You guys aren't even talking to each other."

"Yeah Aquaman, we could cut the tension between you two with a knife for the past couple of days. And, not the usual sexual tension."

I stared at my friends: Jason and Leo. I wasn't sure I should tell them but eventually caved. I finished the full story and waited for their responses. It wasn't a long wait because they both responded quickly. 

"Bro, you shouldn't feel bad. You really didn't do anything wrong. I mean you saved her that night, and you were looking after her." Jason said. 

"Yea, besides it's not your fault that she kissed you. Obviously, you initially kissed back because of shock, instincts, and the fact that you like her. But, you did pull away and did the right thing."

"Woah, what do you mean 'I like her.' How do you know that?"

'We only suspected it till now," Jason said with a smile. 

"Plus, there's the whole sexual tension thing I mentioned earlier," Leo added. 

I sighed before letting out a chuckle. Of course, they knew me well enough to figure out my crush. Also, I loved my friends because they always took my side, especially in front of others. However, if they didn't agree with me, they definitely express their opinions. In this case, both of them agreed that I didn't do anything wrong, which made me feel a lot better. 

As we walked to lunch, my mind buzzed with thoughts of Annabeth, who didn't even like me right now. It hurt a lot to have feelings for someone who hated you. 

By the time I got my lunch, our table was already full. The only seat left was next to Annabeth. I took a deep breath before making my way over. Maybe I could force a conversation now. Our entire fight from Monday played over in my mind, but one particular thought she expressed kept nagging me: that I was like Luke. My brain reasoned that she said it out of anger. 

"Hey Wise Girl," I said as I sat down next to her. 

She stared at me before turning to Thalia who was sitting across from her. 

My tentative smile faltered away as Annabeth asked, "Thalia, can we switch seats?" 

"Why?"

"Please, Thalia."

Thalia just sighed with confusion. "Alright," she said as she got up. 

"No, no, wait," I said interrupting their actions. "Annabeth, come on. You can sit next to me. Wise Girl, technically I did nothing wrong." 

"Excuse me?!" she snapped with a glare. We had all our friends' attention now. 

"Annabeth I was just helping you that night. I didn't want you to worry about more than you had to with everything that went down. Also, you were the one that kissed me."