Chapter 10: Are You Crazy?

Annabeth POV

I had no clue what the hell was going on. All I knew was that a man was holding a knife to a beaten-up Percy. I didn't have much time to think as I grabbed a beer bottle and swung it over the drunk man's head. 

Percy was just intensely staring at me as I called 911. Percy sat up, but he still seemed dazed and out of it as his gaze didn't stray away from my face. 

"Hey, Seaweed Brain, are you okay?" I asked as I crouched next to him. My fingers gently touched the side of his face. His temple and cheek were bruised, and some blood was sliding down his face. "Percy."

He winced against my touch, but his intense gaze didn't stray. My eyes locked onto his, but I couldn't quite understand that look. "Percy," I tried again. 

"Smelly Gabe. He used to be my step-dad. He, he's a bad man." 

'Yeah, I get that. He is a very bad man." I stared at the drunk man still writhing on the ground. 

"We put him in jail after he almost killed me. I was ten," he explained as I used a napkin from the car to wipe his face. 

The next hour went by surprisingly quickly. The cops came and took Gabe away after Percy explained their history and what happened. Actually, Percy and I both gave an account of what happened, and the grocery store cameras validated us. Hopefully, Gabe would be put away for a long, long time. 

I was worried about Percy as I drove him home in his own car. I stopped in his apartment's parking garage and turned to face Percy, who was already looking at me. Once again, with a look and expression, I couldn't understand. 

"Hey Percy, everything is okay now. Gabe's gone and you're okay." I said gently to his beaten face and watery eyes. 

"You were potentially in danger, Wise Girl." 

Oh my god, he was such a loyal, caring, and stupid Seaweed Brain. I mean he was thinking about me and what could've happened rather than what actually happened. His eyes were storming with emotion that he was trying to hide. He even tried to wipe the tear that escaped onto his cheek. 

"It's okay, Percy." 

He sniffled, swallowing the lump in his throat. I reached out as his face buried into my chest/neck area and wrapped my arms around him. I just held him as he let himself go. My arms gently rubbed his back and hair as he cried, slightly soaking my shirt. Right then, something bonded between us. 

It was my first time meeting his mother. I already knew Mr. Blofis, who was one of my favorite teachers. But, I'd never met Sally Jackson. They both seemed so great with each other and with Percy. I could see how much she loved her son by the way she hugged him and teared up as soon as she saw Percy in the condition he was in. 

I liked Sally Jackson a lot, and I was impressed by how comfortable and loving Percy was with his mother, especially when most teenage boys were embarrassed to be close to their families. 

I stayed for almost 2 hours in order to make sure that Percy and his family were all right before finally calling a cab to get home. Of course, Helen started screaming about why I was late, but I wasn't in the mood to deal with her. I had already eaten at Percy's house, so I just retired to my bedroom.

My mind was buzzing for the rest of the night. I couldn't get Percy out of my mind as he even invaded my dreams. All of my dreams. 

***

Percy didn't come to school on Monday because Sally and Percy had to go to court to testify against Gabe. That horrible man was going to spend a lot more time behind bars, especially because he came back to assault the same people that he tormented years before. It served Gabe right if you asked me. 

The crew was sitting in the final minutes of practice watching Rachel sing and act through her performance of Never Enough and Never Enough (reprise). I felt a tang of anger towards Rachel as she performed what should've been my part.

I was glad rehearsal was finally over so that I could go home. I had a lot of work today as every teacher wanted to finish stuff before winter break. (Can anyone relate?)

Thalia and I were heading to my locker to pick up a textbook, but Rachel was there. Her perfume hit us before we even saw her red hair and green eyes. 

Her glare and sly smile met us as we approached my locker. 

"Uh, Queen Bee, can you excuse us?" Thalia asked sarcastically.

"I'm only here for Annabeth. You can leave Thalia," Rachel said seriously as she turned to me. 

"Yeah, that's not happening, so what do want?"

"I want you to stay away from Percy. He's mine."

I gaped at her. "Rachel, you do realize that I am in a musical with him, right?"

"But, you have no excuse to be with him at any other time."

"Sorry, but who I'm friends with is not gonna be influenced by your wishes," I told her boldly. She had to be kidding, right?

"Annabeth, you don't want to make an enemy of me," she said menacingly. 

"Or what, Rachel. You're going steal another part from her," Thalia replied. I couldn't help my smile at Thalia's words. I loved her because she was strong and always supported me as her best friend. 

Rachel face changed to a look of shock. Clearly, she thought that her manipulation was kept a secret, but she recovered quickly. Instead, a smirk graced her face.

"So, you know exactly what I'm capable of. I wonder what musical we're playing and what part I'll take next year, too."

I glared at her, but my response was smooth and calculated. "I'm really not scared of you, Rachel. And, Percy is his own person. You cannot own him or control who he's friends with." 

"Besides, Annabeth already has a boyfriend, so if you'll excuse us." With that, Thalia and I bypassed her, got the book, and started walking away. 

Rachel grabbed my arm harshly and spun me back around to face her. Anger rose up as I lashed out of her grasp. "Woah, the hell, are you crazy?" I snapped. 

Her eyes were like fire, wild and dangerous. "Boyfriend or not, I'm not letting you take Percy from me. I'll have him again whether you back off or not."

I sighed, "You know what Rachel, good luck trying because (news flash) Percy is NOT into you." 

"Yeah, and know one thing, Queen Bee. You really don't want to mess with my friends and by consequence, mess with me," Thalia said it dark and cold. Even Rachel took a step back. 

We were just glaring at each other for a few seconds before Thalia and I walked off. Percy was not hers to have, but he wasn't currently mine either. The thought was a little off-putting, but it was the truth. I had Luke instead I reminded myself. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope y'all are enjoying this story. Stay tuned for more!

PLEASE,  PLEASE,  PLEASE:  READ  +  SHARE  +  VOTE  +  COMMENT