Chapter 8: What is he thinking about?

Annabeth POV

I knew this was a bad idea. Some of us even tested the water, which was freezing. I would be concerned about anyone who'd enter the pool, but I had gotten to know Percy this past week. Plus, he was actually nice and friendly. Sometimes he had jokes and sassy comments, but I quickly learned that it was actually his personality. Percy had a way of making other people feel good, smile, and laugh. That was just who he was, and it was good quality. 

Percy was an excellent swimmer. I've been to the swim meets, but I never paid much attention to the sport. He was like a shark in the water, fast and smooth and powerful. 

He climbed out quickly after making it back to this side of the pool in a matter of seconds. His skin was pale, and he immediately hugged his shivering arms. 

Everyone ushered him inside. Jason handed him several towels and his clothes as Percy headed for the bathroom to change. 

"yea, maybe this wasn't the best idea," Thalia said with a guilty expression. I gently nudged her arms to tell her it was okay, but I knew she felt bad.

In a few minutes, Piper started the movie and everyone settled down in the dim living room. Some were on the couch while some of us were on the ground. I was sitting on the ground leaning back against the couch, which was over capacity. Pretty soon, one of them would get kicked off (probably, Leo). 

Percy came back clothed and wrapped in a blanket but still shivering. He plopped himself next to me. 

"You are so stupid, sometimes," I whispered harshly. 

"Wow, very nice Wise Girl," he said sarcastically and signed. "I couldn't reject the dare I was given."  

"You are so stupid. You're still shivering for God's sake. I told yo-"

"Please don't say I told you so."

"Well, you should get used to me telling you I told you so," I said smirking. He only shook his head with a small smile. "Sometimes, I don't even know what's in your head. You, you -- you Seaweed Brain." 

I couldn't believe that was the best I could come up with. Percy just stared at me in shock. "Wow, I really hope that nickname doesn't stick like mine did."

"Hey, at least Seaweed Brain is accurate. Your brain is all kelp."

"Yea, well, Wise Girl is also accurate. You're too smart for me," he stammered. 

I laughed quietly at his try and fail at insulting me. The movie went on as Percy continued to shiver and warm his hands quietly. I wasn't even sure if he was paying attention to the film. 

I surprised even myself when I reached out and took his hand, squeezing and rubbing it in between my own. I don't think I'll ever forget the shocked look on his face, but he didn't pull away. Instead, he allowed me to warm him quietly as we watched the movie. I enjoyed the feel of his hands in my own and the warmth that radiated off him even though he, himself, was cold. 

The whole night was somehow one of the best nights of my life. 

***

The days passed by busily thanks to school and the musical. Honestly, I was a little bit overwhelmed by the workload this year. Everyone did say that junior year was the hardest, and I totally felt that now. I could only imagine Percy's condition as he had swimming to manage as well. 

However, the musical was actually a de-stressor for me as I got to sing along to the amazing songs within The Greatest Showman soundtrack. 

I watched as Percy huffed as Apollo and Miss Artemis stopped him for the fifth time today. From Now On was one of the harder songs because of the emotion involved, and Percy was clearly having a hard time and frustrated. 

We were trying to help, but something just wasn't clicking. We had been working on this the past two days with no success. Luckily, the only songs left in the initial practice refinement was the solo songs (Tightrope, Never Enough, and Jason/Piper's duet of Rewrite the Stars). But, that meant if we couldn't get From Now On good today, then all our songs would be pushed back over the weekend rather than getting them done tomorrow. In other words, we'd be behind schedule. 

Mr. Bruner sighed before walking over to Percy. 

"Percy, this song is an emotional gestalt. Look, I know you're a little frustrated, but take a breath and try again. Think about a time that's been difficult for you. Think about a time when you were down and out, and then, think about how you've gotten up again. Think about how messed up life can be but also how it can be fixed." 

I watched as Percy listened intently. I could see in his eyes that he was fixated on something deep that would get showcased during the performance. 

"Alright, everyone, we took five. Now, let's try this again," said Apollo, bringing everyone's attention back to rehearsal. 

Everyone was sitting in a circle on stage except for Percy who was standing up. Basically, the system in rehearsal worked in that the current singers had to stand while everyone else can stay seating. It was easier to sing big songs whilst standing than sitting. 

Percy started singing with conviction. The song started off slow and sad. I could see the emotion in his eyes and face as he sang the lyrics. It was different this time around as he was thinking about something. The song was finally given justice. Everyone was quiet as they watched Percy's emotional performance and gentle voice to start. 

I wondered, "What is he thinking about?"

Whatever past was running through his head, it allowed him to give the emotion necessary for this song at the beginning, and then, the music started. 

His voice was clear and stronger now as the song demanded. From Now On was an excellent song that moved from raw emotion to incredible joy, and Percy was conveying that quite well. Then, the choir entered, and the song fell into place. As the performance finished off with Piper and Hazel's soothing voices, Percy sat back down still breathing. 

The song had several sustained notes that Percy hit well. He had good breath control considering he was a swimmer. 

Rehearsal ended with everyone being satisfied that the song worked. They tried it twice more, and whatever thoughts Percy was using definitely helped make the song. Everyone left practice happy. 

"Hey Seaweed Brain, hold up," I called out as I ran up to him in the parking lot. 

"What's up, Wise Girl?"

"Just curious, honestly. What changed in the performance? What were you thinking about after Mr. Bruner talked to you? Whatever it was, it completely fixed your performance, which was quite good actually."

He seemed distant before answering. "Thanks, Wise Girl. I was just thinking about-" he hesitated and faltered off. It made me realize just how not close we were. Sure, we were friends, but we hadn't started seriously talking to each other until two weeks ago. 

"You don't need to tell me, Percy, if you don't want to," I replied with a straight tone and face. But, I couldn't help the slight sadness inside of me. 

'I, I'm sorry Annabeth. It's uh just personal, you understand?" he said softly. His gaze intensifying on my face to make sure that I was okay. 

"Yeah, of course. Maybe in time."

"Yeah, I hope in time."

Percy left soon afterward, and I started my walk home. Percy offered to give me a ride, but I politely refused. It had gotten a little tenser since he didn't tell me about his past. But one thing was sure, there was a complicated past there.

I was a little sad because I wanted to know him, but Percy was evidently not there yet. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM NOW ON is actually my favorite song from The Greatest Showman. Please check it out. Also, comment about which are your favorite songs from the film. I already know some of your responses. 

Thank you so much everyone for showing this story so much love in just the first week.

PLEASE,  PLEASE,  PLEASE:  READ,  VOTE,  SHARE,  and  COMMENT