Chapter 25: Can we go home?

Percy POV

Pulling away from Annabeth's kiss was one of the hardest things I had to do. The kiss was only supposed to be 3 seconds, but I pulled away after like 7 seconds. 

That was my first mess up of the show. 

Currently, the crew members were performing the scene where the Barnum building was getting burned down by rioters. I was backstage, behind some shutters, changing into my black pants and blue shirt outfit. However, my mind and body were filled with sensations and perceptions of the kiss. 

"I thought I warned you, Jackson."

I was still bare-shirted as I turned around to face Luke. 

"Luke, you don't scare me."

"I told you what would happen if you went for her, Jackson." His goons showed up behind me and quickly grabbed my arms to stop me from moving. 

"Luke, we were literally just performing a scene," I tried. If they kept this up, I was going to be late for my next scene. 

"I don't believe that Jackson. You have feelings for her, and I don't like that."

"Screw you, Luke. I love her, and you can't do anything about it." 

"You're right, Jackson, and your feelings mean nothing to me. But, I can make you suffer for one last hurrah." I just stared at him. Never before had I projected an image of Gabe onto another person. Gabe was too horrible of a person, but Luke came very close to Gabe. "So, Percy, it's your choice. Will you take an attack or miss your performance?" 

The choice was a no-brainer. I couldn't let everyone down by not finishing the show. 

"Attack," I spat helplessly. As Luke came towards me, I decided to distract myself. My mind wandered to Wise Girl and our kiss. 

It was a kiss where she wasn't intoxicated. However, I wasn't sure if it could count as a real kiss. We were staged to do the kiss. She didn't kiss me because she wanted to. She kissed me because she had to, and I hated that thought. Our first real kiss wasn't supposed to be like this. It was supposed to be a promise: an action to solidify our feelings and commitment for each other. It was supposed to be-

All thoughts were knocked out of my mind as Luke kneed me hard in my side-abdomen. I could feel my ribs bruising immediately as I crumbled to the ground while coughing. 

They left snickering while I wore my blue shirt quickly. Pain swirled in my body and clouded my mind, but I didn't have time to think about it. 

The rest of the show was torturous. I had to wipe away tears during From Now On because the emotions were too much to handle. Luckily, emotionalism matched the flavor of the song. However, I physically couldn't spread my hands out while singing the extended notes. The pain was there as I sang, but I ignored it. However, I could not stretch my chest/abdomen because that would've been too much pain to ignore. 

***

I gestured Jason off stage as soon as my turn was down to sing The Greatest Show. Now, it was Hazel's turn to sing before some background music played, and we danced for a while. 

"Bro, what's up," Jason whispered. 

"Jason, you have to sing the rest of my part." I felt awful as I saying it. It felt like I was letting people down by not finishing my role, but I physically couldn't anymore, especially since I have a Districts swimming competition tomorrow. 

"Percy, what the hell-"

"Jason, please," I pleaded sharply. He must've seen the emotions in my eyes because he nodded quietly.