Chapter 21: Are we good?

Percy POV

I threw myself into swimming, and I threw myself into the musical. Dealing with the work was easier and better than dealing with my screwed up emotions right now.

My feelings for Annabeth didn't go away but neither did the pain from her insult. As such, it hurt every time I saw her. It hurt that I couldn't be with her and talk to her despite being so close to her. I thought that Annabeth didn't want to be with me. After all, who wanted to be with someone they thought of as a bad person.

They say that time heals all wounds. I'm sure that it's true, but they forget to mention the amount of time. It's been a month, yet I was still messed up. Also, my and Annabeth's relationship certainly wasn't healed. If anything, the distance grew.

***

I stepped out of the locker room with my bags so that I could get to rehearsal on time. My hair was more wet than usual today and was dripping onto my t-shirt. I didn't have ample time to dry it today because Apollo said I had to be on time.

"Percy, I wanted to talk to you before you leave for rehearsal," Coach Hedge exclaimed boldly.

"Coach, I'm actually in a hurry right now."

"Jackson, I just want to know when your play's opening day is."

I stared at Coach in shock. I never expected him, a major macho man, to be interested in attending a musical. We had about a month of preparation time left before having to perform. There were so many things we still had to work on and fix. I didn't know how we would be stage ready in a month, but I suppose everyone felt that way with any performance.

"It's on March 29th, on a Friday."

"Oh, I cannot make that day, Percy, but I promise that I'll make it to one of the shows."

"Thanks, Coach."

"Jackson, you should know that Districts is that Saturday."

"I know Coach. I don't think I'll be able to ride with the team on Friday, but I'll definitely be there to compete on Saturday."

Districts were the second level (technically, third) in a series of competitions. It was a single-day competition amongst all the schools in the nearby counties. The swimmers' performance at districts would determine who'd make it to Regionals, and then, States.

The team usually rode together to Districts, Regionals, and States the day before. Obviously, I couldn't ride with the team to Districts because of the musical. However, my mom or Paul could drive me to Districts early Saturday morning.

***

Rehearsal was buzzing with activity today. Mr. Bruner was helping multiple groups of cast members perfect some scenes. Meanwhile, Miss Artemis and Apollo were waiting for me on stage. Annabeth and Dustin were also there.

That could only mean one thing. We would be practicing the dance to A Million Dreams. It was something that I wasn't looking forward to because I'd be dancing a fluid duet with Annabeth. The choreography involved slow sensual movements and close proximity (sometimes, very close proximity and touch between me and Annabeth).

Dustin performed his part first, and he did quite well. He had less dancing and more storytelling for his two and half minutes, but his performance was effortless and very good. Dustin would easily be someone capable of snagging a lead role when he becomes a junior or senior.

Then, Annabeth and I were called on stage. As soon as my part started on A Million Dreams, we would start our fluid dance number.

"Alright, Percy and Annabeth, your dance starts by walking onto stage happily and dreamily at the exact moment that Dustin steps off and you start singing, Percy." Miss Artemis started to explain the choreography.