Chapter 24: What was that?

Annabeth POV

Percy was doing a great job. I never doubted that he'd do great, but I could tell that he was nervous before the show. I could see it in his eyes. However, when he looked at me, I saw the nerves going away and the confidence grow.

I wasn't nervous about performing because I had been performing on stage since middle school. But, I was anxious about my family watching my performance for the first time. My dad, Helen, and my little brother were in the audience.

At the end of A Million Dreams, when I was still in Percy's arms, my eyes scanned the audience until they found my dad.

I saw the pride flashing in my father's eyes, and it felt amazing. I looked up at Percy's smiling face and silently thanked him for helping my family get closer to me.

***

The show went on with very few mess-ups. There was barely any time for the crew members to talk backstage as everything was so busy. I guess time flies when you're having fun. I was certainly having a lot of fun, especially with the prospect of playing two characters. My first scene as Jenny Lind was coming up.

"Annabeth, hold still, we don't have much time," Thalia said harshly as she tucked my hair back into a tight and short ponytail.

"Ow, Thalia. That's too hard."

"Well, we have to cover all your blonde hair for your red wig, so hold still."

It took a few more minutes before I was ready as Jenny Lind. I stood up and made my way to the large mirror. The white dress was not only very pretty but also very heavy. I had only gotten to wear it once, and that was during a dress rehearsal two days ago.

When I looked in the mirror, I looked so unlike myself. Staring at me in the mirror was a woman with red hair and the richest of clothes, which wasn't me. However, that was only the outer appearance, and I knew more than anyone that what mattered was what was on the inside: a strong personality and a hard-working spirit.

"Woah, Wise Girl."

I smiled before turning around to face Percy.

"You're not blonde anymore," he said with a smirk. He must've just got done with his scene with Jason, which meant we'd have a minute max to get in position.

"Is that good or bad, Seaweed Brain," I asked as we walked towards the stage. The technicians were setting up the background for this royal scene where Barnum meets Jenny for the first time.

"I prefer you like yourself. You know, blonde and in normal clothes and normal makeup."

This time, I couldn't stop the blush from heating my face. While he wasn't necessarily complimenting me right now, what he said felt so good to hear.

Percy liked me for me, and only me.

***

My first performance of Never Enough was absolutely incredible. The audience had risen to their feet as they cheered and applauded. Never Enough was one of my favorite songs, and I felt so grateful to be able to perform it and perform it well.

Then, after a few more scenes, I performed Tightrope where I was able to incorporate my fluid dancing skills. Once again, I felt very good about the performance.

Finally, it was time for me to perform the Never Enough Reprise. As I sang the more emotional version of Never Enough, I could feel the tension and agony spreading through the room. That's what this version of Never Enough was about. It was about regret and loss. I finished the song suddenly with a quiet gasp.