☽four☾

Christmas was quite lovely. Charlie was happy to have me around for a while. I was happy he let me feed the dragons. Charlie, Bill, and I were inseparable growing up. Even though they would never admit it Charlie and Bill cried the first time I left for Hogwarts. Anytime we can get together it feels like we're kids again. It's a nice break from reality for me. I don't have to worry about grading papers or Harry putting himself in life threatening situations.

It's past curfew as I wander down the unlit corridors. I finished class no more than twenty minutes ago. Having not lit up my wand I bump into something or should I say someone. As I stumble back I feel an arm wrap around me to keep me from falling backwards.

"Lumos."

A wand lights up and I can see that it's Remus holding me up. I smile slightly as I blush. Remus lets me go and I straighten myself out.

"Out for a midnight stroll?" Remus questions.

I laugh lightly. "I ran out of tea bags. I thought I could nick some from the kitchen."

"Put that light out!"

"We're trying to sleep here!"

I turn to the portraits on the wall. "Sod off."

Remus chuckles. "Now I don't think there is a need for that kind of language."

I roll my eyes. "These bloody portraits get more sleep than I do."

I can hear a voice coming from another corridor. "My dad didn't strut. And nor do I."

"That was Harry," I state.

I grab Remus' arm and start to drag him down the corridor. We find Harry holding the Marauder's Map while being interrogated by Snape.

"Professor!" Lupin greets.

"Well, well. Lupin." Snape turns to me. "And Weasley. Out for a little walk... in the moonlight, are we?" Snape remarks.

I ignore Severus and turn my attention to Harry. "Harry are you alright?"

"That remains to be seen." Snape grabs the Marauder's Map from Harry. "I have just now confiscated a rather curious artifact from Mr. Potter. Take a look, Lupin." He hands the map to Remus. "Supposed to be your area of expertise. Clearly, it's full of dark magic."

"I seriously doubt it, Severus. It looks as though it's merely a parchment designed to insult anyone who tries to read it." Remus chuckles. "I suspect it's a Zonko product." Snape tries to grab the map but Remus pulls it away and hands it over to me. "Nevertheless, I shall investigate any hidden qualities it may possess. It is, after all, as you say, my area of expertise. Harry, would you come with me, please? Professor, good night."

I offer Harry a reassuring smile as he follows Remus and I back to Remus' classroom.

"Come in. I haven't the faintest idea how this map came to be in your possession... but quite frankly, I am astounded that you didn't hand it in. Did it never occur to you that this, in the hands of Sirius Black... is a map to you? No," Remus says.

"No, sir," Harry confesses.

"Your father never set much store by the rules either. But he and your mother gave their lives to save yours. Gambling their sacrifice by wandering the castle unprotected... with a killer on the loose seems to me a poor way to repay them! Now, I will not cover up for you again. Do you hear me?" Remus tells him.

Harry nods. "Yes, sir."

"I want you to return to your dormitory and stay there. And don't take any detours. If you do, I shall know," Remus assures.

"Professor, just so you know, I don't think that map always works. Earlier, it showed someone in the castle. Someone I know to be dead," Harry states.

"Oh, really? And who might that be?" Remus asks.

"Peter Pettigrew," Harry informs him.

"That's not possible," Remus insists.

"It's just what I saw," Harry tells him. "Goodnight, professor." He looks at me. "Goodnight Tam."

"Goodnight, Harry." I turn to Remus. "Any chance I could get a cup of tea?"

"Of course," Remus tells me.

I sit in Remus' desk chair. I watch him as he makes us both a cup of tea.

"Milk or sugar?" Remus asks.

"Both please," I tell him. Remus places the tea cup down in front of me. I smile. "Thank you." Remus leans up against the edge of his desk. "I know where Harry got the map."

"Do tell," Remus says.

I hold the map in my hand. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

The map starts to come to life.

"You gave it to him?" Remus questions.

"Indirectly," I clarify. Remus waits for me to elaborate. "I gave it to Fred and George. They must have given it to Harry."

"And how did it come into your possession?" Remus questions.

"I nicked it from Filch's desk my first year at Hogwarts," I explain. "How did you know what it was?"

"My friends and I were the ones who created it," Remus confesses.

So Remus is a Marauder. I've wondered for years who created the map. I always expected some daredevil or someone more mischievous than both Fred and George combined.

"And Harry's father was among those friends?" I question.

Remus nods. "James. He had a certain, shall we say, talent for trouble. A talent he passed on to Harry."

I smile. "And did you know Harry's mother?"

"Lily. She was there for me at a time when no one else was. Not only was she a singularly gifted witch... she was also an uncommonly kind woman. She had a way of seeing the beauty in others... even, and most especially, when that person could not see it in themselves," Remus tells me.

"Anything else you would like to come clean about... Moony?" I ask. Remus' face drops. "I just thought that considering who you really are Moony would be your nickname."

"Who I really am?" Remus questions.

"Are you going to make me say it?" I ask.

"I can assure you, Tamsin, I have no idea what you are talking about," Remus insists.

I stand up to face him. "Every time you miss class it seems to coincide with a full moon. You always look like shit the next day." I reach up and trace my fingers ever so lightly along the scars on his face. "The scars."

Remus grabs my wrist. "Then you know I'm a monster."

I shake my head. "Remus you are anything but a monster."

"I was a very small boy when I received the bite. My parents tried everything, but in those days there was no cure. The potion that Severus has been making for me is a very recent discovery. It makes me safe, you see. As long as I take it in the week, preceding to keep my mind when I transform... I'm able to curl up in my office, a harmless wolf, and wait for the moon to wane again. Before the Wolfsbane Potion was discovered, however, I became a fully fledged monster once a month. I wouldn't know right from wrong. I would harm anyone without a second thought." Remus explains.

"You said it yourself. You have a potion now. You're not some killer werewolf on the loose," I assure him.

"I'm not to be trusted," Remus states.

"Then why do I trust you?" I counter.

"You shouldn't," Remus insists.

"But I do. Whether you like it or not," I state.

"You are a stubborn one, Tamsin," Remus remarks.

I nod my head. "Get used to it."

Before Remus can say anything I pull him towards me and kiss him. It's soft and sweet. After a moment it ends.