☽five☾

Today is the day Buckbeak is to be executed. I'm sitting in Hagrid's hut with him, Ron, Hermione, and Harry. I know that Hagrid is beyond upset with this. Seeing an innocent animal killed is the worst thing that could happen to him.

"It truly is a sin," I comment.

"Look at him. Loves the smell of the trees when the wind blows through them," Hagrid says as he watches Buckbeak.

"Why don't we just set him free?" Harry asks.

"They'd know it was me, and then Dumbledore... would get into trouble. He's coming down, Dumbledore. Says he wants to be with me when they... When it happens. Great man, Dumbledore. A great man," Hagrid says.

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Hermione offers.

"You'll do no such thing! Think I want you seeing something like that? No. You just drink your tea and be off. Oh. Before you do, Ron..." Hagrid pulls Scabbers out of the container.

"Scabbers! You're alive!" Ron remarks.

Hagrid hands Scabbers over. "Keep a closer eye on your pets, Ron."

"I think you owe someone an apology," Hermione tells Ron.

"Right. Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know," Ron assures.

"I meant me," Hermione tells him.

Suddenly one of the jars on the table shatters.

"Blimey! What was that?" Hagrid remarks.

"Ow!" Harry grabs the back of his head. "Hagrid!"

"It's late. It's nearly dark. You shouldn't be here. Someone sees you outside the castle at this time of night, you'll be in trouble. Big trouble. Particularly you, Harry," Hagrid warns. There's a knock on the door. "With you in a moment!" Hagrid shoes them off. "Quick. Quick!"

Harry stops. "Hagrid. It'll be fine. It'll be okay."

"Go on, go on!" Hagrid tells him.

I open the front door. Dumbledore is surprised to see me. "Oh Professor. What are you doing here?"

"I was just keeping Hagrid company, but I'll be on my way now," I tell him.

Dumbledore, Fudge, and the executioner step aside. I start to make my way back up the hill. I don't stop or turn back. I can't risk Fudge getting suspicious. I watch as Ron, Harry, and Hermione run up the hill to meet me. We stop at the ring of stones. We watch as the executioner lifts his axe. I can't even watch. I turn away not wanting to watch. Hermione buries her face in Ron's shoulder.

"He bit me!" Ron says. He looks around. "Scabbers!" He starts to chase after the rat.

"Ron. Ron!" Hermione says.

Ron starts back down the hill.

"Ron!" Harry and I call after him.

"Scabbers, come back!" Ron begs.

"Wait!" Hermione shouts.

We follow after Ron. Ron stops when he gets a hold of Scabbers. He is right in front of the Whomping Willow.

"Harry, you do realize what tree this is?" Hermione says.

"That's not good. Ron, run!" Harry shouts.

Ron points behind us. "Harry, Hermione, Tam, run!" We turn and see a large black dog. "It's the Grim!" The dog jumps over us and runs towards Ron. It grabs a hold of Ron's foot. "Harry!"

We run towards the tree. The dog drags Ron down through the roots.

"Ron! Ron, wait!" Harry shouts.