Chapter 8: the tempest

A/N: Eyo guys I am SO sorry for not updating! School's been hectic and I made a pile of homework so high that it broke through the outer atmosphere.

'Ere's yer new chapter! P.S. I would grab some tissues if I were you because here comes the feels train. CHOO CHOO!!

10 March

Boy! What a lovely day to be alive. Oh yeah! Continuing where we left off...

Ethan sat in his chair with a blackeye, his head drooping.

"It feels bad, doesn't it? To have the love of your life snatched away from you."

"Ethan! Emma, why would you do this?" Mackenzie said and I could see teeeeeny little flames in her eyes.

"Why? Because you abandoned me. You left me standing all by myself with the love of my life bleeding to death right in front of me! We could have saved him!" Emma snapped.

"Emma he was already dead! If we carried him with us the bomb would have scorched us to death as well!"

"I don't want to hear your excuses!"

"What the bloody hell is going on?" John yelled out of somewhere.

"John, let them speak." I heard Mary's voice.

"Emma... I know that life has been hard, but we can make this work, okay? Just let us go, and we can settle this like adults." Mackenzie said in a pleading voice.

"No! I have waited for too long! I waited fourteen years for you to come back, and you never did! Not even a phone call to tell me you were alive! You never spoke to me again. You never even bothered to check if I was alive!" Emma said on the verge of madness.

"Emma, you can't keep blaming me for his death. I didn't kill him! You know that there were snipers! He died with a bullet to his forehead, remember?"

"I SAID ENOUGH!" She yelled and pulled Mackenzie up by her neck.

I gasped in terror. "Mackenzie NO!" I screamed.

"Emma, stop this! This isn't you!" Mackenzie croaked as she tried to pry off Emma's grip. Her feet were dangling off the ground.

Emma's eyes were focused on the choking girl, wild and burning with rage. Suddenly, she threw Mackenzie away like a ragdoll, causing her to bump her head in the nearest wall. I shut my eyes tight, not wanting to see the horror happening before me, tears streaming down my cheeks. Brandon was violently trying to break free from his bonds.

She turned her back on the gasping girl and balled her hands into fists. "You're weak. The least I expected from you is to put up a good fight." Emma twisted around and faced Mackenzie, who was on her knees and wheezing for the air to start circulating in her system again. "I'm not going to fight you." She said with power in her voice.

"Please." Emma replied and lifted her by the collar. "I tied up all of your friends. I beat up your boyfriend until you couldn't recognise him! You have no other choice but to fight me!" She said and put Mackenzie on her feet.

"I won't. Fight you." Mackenzie stated with a fierce and stubborn edge in her voice, looking Emma in the eye with a blank expression. Emma chuckled half heartedly, then she punched Mackenzie in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her. "I didn't wait fourteen years for you to tell me off about Ashton! Come on, fight me!" She screamed and pushed her against the wall. She punched Mackenzie in the cheek, causing her to fall on her side. "Damnit why won't you fight me?!" She cried, expecting an answer from Mackenzie.

"Because I'm not your enemy, Emma! I'm your friend!" She replied and spat out the blood that was collecting in her mouth.

"Em... I'm not going to fight you." Mackenzie said, and got on her knees, when the most unexpected thing ever happened.

Mackenzie. Began. To sing.

"When somebody loved me,
Everything was beautiful.
Every hour we spent together
lives within my heart,"

At this stage Mackenzie stood up and Emma was frozen to the spot with a shocked expression on her face.

"And when she was sad
I was there to dry her tears.
And when she was happy so was I,
When she loved me."

Emma's expression turned from a mad bull to a broken heart, as Mackenzie continued singing.

"Through the summer and the fall
We had each other that was all
Just she and I together
Like it was meant to be.

And when she was lonely
I was there to comfort her,
And I knew that he loved me"
As Mackenzie finished the lyric, Emma turned around to face her, singing the next verses.

"So the years went by, I stayed the same.
But she began to drift away, I was left alone.
Still I waited for the day, when she'd say..."

Mackenzie interrupted to finish the verse; "I will always love you."

Emma continued singing, and Mackenzie slowly made her way to her.

"Lonely and forgotten, I'd never thought she'd look my way..."

Mackenzie hugged her on rhythm while singing the next verse.

"And when she smiled at me, and held me, just like we used to do."

Emma and Mackenzie sang the last verse together.

"Like she loved me, when she loved me...

When somebody loved me,
Everything was beautiful.

Every hour we spent together, lives within my heart."

They split into a duet.

"When she loved me."

They ended the song and folded into a tight embrace, filled with Emma's sobbing. " I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." Emma said, sobbing on Mackenzie's shoulder. "No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for abandoning you in a time in your life that you needed me most. I'm sorry that I didn't keep in touch. I'm sorry about everything I've done." She replied and held Emma tighter.

Mackenzie made a beeline to Ethan, untying him and hugging him tightly.

"I missed you so much Ethan!" She cried into his chest.

That concludes our adventure and I'll tell the backstory of Emma in the next chapter!