Monalise and Rafael

If you stuck with me through my hiatus, I want to thank you for your patience. I wish I could say I have a legit reason behind why I haven't updated, but I really don't. Life I guess. But thank you for reading! And to all my new readers, thank you for taking a chance even though I haven't updated in so long!

I dreaded the thought of driving home in my car after the events of today coupled with Rafael's failure to answer my calls after storming out of the office earlier. Santiago and Vinny escorted me out of the office when my work day was over and made sure I was in my car okay before tailing me the entire drive.

I stopped at a red light, finally happy that I'd be able to call Rafael again. I dug my phone out of my purse and dialed the number that was in my call list at least eight times just from today alone. My phone was connected to my car through Bluetooth so there was no reason for me to physically hold it.

It rang and rang and rang until finally going to voicemail once again. I ended the call before I would have to leave a voicemail at the same time the light turned green. Fear settled in my stomach as I got closer to our home. I just wanted the comfort of seeing his range rover in the driveway and the familiar suburban that had become a part of our house.

I glanced in my rearview mirror to see Santiago's car right behind me still. I mean, if something was wrong, I'm sure he'd tell me. I doubt he'd allow me to just go home. Or maybe he didn't know anything either. After all, he spent most of the time at the office where I was so his information could have been just as limited to mine.

I groaned before turning the music up to drown myself out of the negative thoughts. Robin Thicke's smooth voice eased out of the speakers as I lightly sang along.

"...how does it feel to know that I love you, baby. I'm lost..."

The rest of the drive home was more relaxed but I was still full of anxiety.

-------

I slammed the door shut after coming home to Rafael's car in the driveway along with two other cars that I didn't recognize and the suburban. My immediate reaction was to run my car through the window, so he'd know how pissed I was that he wasn't answering the phone. Did he forget he had a wife who worried about his well-being?

All talking ceased from where I heard it coming from in the living room. I took my time hanging my coat as well as inspecting myself in the foyer mirror before making my way to the living room. Eight eyes stared back at me as I entered with anger in my bones. Six eyes, I did not recognize. A leggy brunette with dark red lipstick and a cigarette between her fingers sized me up in my own home. She was dressed like she was expecting to go out to a club or something. A man round and heavy sat next to her dressed in dress shirt and pants with suspenders. I could see his suit jacket hanging over the back of the couch. The last pair of eyes belonged to Rafael's accountant, Cesar. He'd always been and attractive man with a chilling presence.

"So, this is the wife huh, Rafe?" The heavy man whistled as his eyes traveled the length of me starting from my legs and ending at my breasts, "I could see why you keep her locked away."

I raised an eyebrow and turned to look at Rafael, taken aback by this man's audacity. Locked away? What was that supposed to mean?

Rafael chuckled but I could see the warning behind his eyes. He didn't like what the man had to say but it seemed like he needed to be in his good graces. "Anton, this is my wife Mona."

Anton pulled himself off of the couch and walked over to where I stood. He was just a tad bit shorter than me which forced us to be eye level. He reached for my hand and planted a kiss on the back of it. "Good evening, beautiful lady. I hope we're not causing any trouble by being here so late."