Monalise and Rafael

"Hello?"

The deep rasp of his voice awakened all logical part of me. What was I doing? Why couldn't I learn to trust my husband? All my faults started to become apparent. My "do good" nature could get us all killed instead of the very person we wanted dead. Was it worth the risk? How did I know I could trust him?

"Mona?"

I quickly hang up the phone and threw it off of the bed. I pushed back the tendrils of hair that slipped out of my messy bun and decided to make a home on my forehead. For once, I was going to let my husband lead, as a man who knew more than me, should. He knew what he was doing, and I would just have to trust that he could do it without my interference.

My phone vibrated loudly where it sat on the floor. I got up and picked it up to see that sure enough, Alejandro was calling me back. I let it ring until the call forwarded to voice message. I noticed he sent me three text messages. Without reading them, I deleted them and proceeded to block his number.

--------

Sophia pushed the stroller through the doors so gracefully, I could have mistaken it for a commercial shoot. She looked good in a black and white dress and killer black heels. She wore a sizeable sun hat that had her name sewed into it and ridiculously large glasses. The smell of Chanel No. 5 and a hint of baby powder followed her into the room. If I didn't know better, I'd think she was fresh of the set of a movie set in the 50's.

Leaving the stroller by the door, she unstrapped Arlene and carried her over her shoulder. She looked so at peace while asleep. Her cute little button nose twitched as her mom moved her around to make her more comfortable.

Sophia walked over to Rafael to briefly give him a kiss on the cheek and as good as a hug as she could give with Arlene on her shoulder. She turned so that he could see Arlene's face. Rafe looked absolutely mesmerized by her. He ran his fingers lightly on her cheek and whispered endearments in Italian. It warmed my heart to watch the interaction.

Sophia finally turned to look at me when I accidentally knocked my pencil holder on the floor. I apologized before picking everything up.

"Mona." Sophia walked over to where I was and watched me pick up all the pens and pencils. "What? You can't return a girls calls anymore?"

She looked slightly pissed which confused me. She had only called me once since her blowout that I of course didn't bother to pick up. She had the wrong idea thinking I was going to go to her first.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Rafael shake his head. He grabbed some papers and walked out of the office to give us space.

"I've been busy. You know work and school and training, and the dog." I smiled and sat back down. I gestured for her to take the chair in front of my desk which she happily obliged.

I couldn't take my eyes off Arlene. It was amazing how much she grew since the last time I saw her. She was starting to grow into her looks and I could already tell she was going to be Dom's twin.

"So, are we good? I miss our weekly chats. Dom isn't interested in all the good gossip and he refuses to watch million-dollar listings with me." She smiled, "Even if you're still mad at me, I'm coming over tomorrow so we can have a girls day. I'm sure there's a lot I've missed out on."

I bit the bottom of my pen to make it seem like I was thinking about it, "Okay, I guess we can be friends again. Just don't do that again. I was being nice because you were stressed."

She smiled and rolled her eyes, "Good. Let's go somewhere for lunch! I'm craving Thai food."

I checked my wristwatch and noticed there was still an hour left before Rafe would usually have us leave for lunch. I doubt it would be a big deal if I went and came back right before everyone left.