Monalise and Rafael

Before we get into this chapter, I just want everyone to know there's like three different versions of this chapter and this was the one I chose because it fits best with what I want the chapter to be so please enjoy!

----------

I woke up later than I had planned to the next day. I could tell Rafael had left hours ago seeing as I didn't smell his signature cologne. I must have really been tired.

I sat up and stretched my body out before tossing the covers off of my naked body and getting out of bed. The cold hardwood floor met my bare feet too quickly than I was prepared for. I stuck my foot under the bed to try to find my slippers. When I did, I shuffled them on and made my way to the bathroom.

I winced when I caught sight of myself in the mirror. My hair was a mess and I had dried up drool on the corner of my mouth. Just how tired had I been? I ran the shower water to the hottest level there was before walking out of the bathroom an into my closet.

I could already tell it was freezing outside, so I settled for some dark jeans and a leopard print long sleeve blouse. I laid them out on the bed before getting into the shower.

---------

My childhood home still had the same homey feel to it as I remembered. It was something I tried to mimic when decorating my own home, but just could not seem to master. The strong scent of ginger traveled through out the house and wafted into my nostrils. I knew my mom was making her famous ginger tea because it was so cold out today. My mouth watered at the thought of enjoying some with bread.

"Mom!"

I shut the door behind me and ventured further into the house. The living room was pristine now that it had been just my mom living there for a year now. The champagne colored furniture complimented the gray hardwood floors in an odd way that worked. There were pictures of my sister and I sitting on the fireplace. I cringed at me at fifteen years old with bright pink braces.

My mom had practically forced me to get braces on already near perfect teeth. It made for a very hard social life with boys. I remember cutting a boy's lip at a football game when he kissed me. It was humiliating the next day when he told everyone, and all the guys avoided me like the plague.

"¡En la cocina!" (In the kitchen!)

I smiled at the memory before making my way to the kitchen. My mom stood over the island with a mug of tea in one hand and her phone in the other. She was still in her pajamas which was a bit of a shock considering the kind of woman she was.

I walked over to her and kissed her cheek, "Buenos Dias, mama. (Good morning, mom.)" I grabbed a banana out of the fruit basket and took a seat across from her. I peeled it and began eating it.

She hardly looked up at me before she began gossiping. "Georgia's pregnant, did you hear? Her mom couldn't wait to tell me and try to rub it in my face," she took a loud sip of her tea. "Jokes on her, I don't want to be a grandma yet anyway."

I chuckled, "Wait. Didn't Georgia and Alex get a divorce recently?! There's no way she moved on that quick."

She set down her phone and gave me a look as if to say, 'you're absolutely correct'.

"Sergio Montes is the baby's father."

The name sounded familiar, but it wasn't coming to me, "Who?"

"You remember your friend Corina from high school, right? You guys used to spend summers at her dad's house while he was out of the country with his flavor of the month."

I racked my brain for the memory until it stopped at a handsome man who I had a tiny crush on in my teenage years, "Uh huh..."

"Well, that's him! Turns out that mans body parts still work like they used to."