Monalise and Rafael

New Year's Eve

I made silly faces at my 'cousins' one-year old baby. He smiled back a gummy, one tooth smile, that completely melted my heart, "Hi, Mason. You're so precious."

"I think he likes like's you, Mona!" My cousin said, before passing me her son.

I grabbed him and hugged him to me tight, "They all love me, Gwen. I'm a baby whisperer."

She chuckled, "You can always have one of your own to test that theory, you know?"

I snorted through my nose, "I'm good for now testing that theory on everyone else's kids." She thought she was slick, but I was catching on to what she was saying. I was content not being a mom for now. I had a lot about to start up and the last thing was to have a pregnancy full of stress.

There was still about an hour left until it would officially be the new year. My mom's house was completely transformed into what looked like a twenties jazz bar. It was a roaring twenties new year party that had completely taken off. The place was full of my mom's rich friends and their kids. Kris Jenner's parties had nothing on my mom's.

I was dressed in a black strapless dress with a fringe dangling at the bottom. I had long black satin gloves that reached right up past my elbows. My hair was done in big, beautiful, pin up curls that framed my face. On my lips was a cherry shade of red that complimented the fake beauty mark above the right side of my lips. I was the epitome of a woman from the twenties.

"Did you see who was here?"

I stopped bouncing the baby on my lap and looked at Gwen. Of course I saw him in his well-tailored pinstripe suit and his black fedora just barely sitting on top of his hair. He wore shoes so shiny, it looked like a disco ball. He matched me perfectly, which must have been a coincidence.

"See who?"

She rolled her eyes and smirked before taking a sip of her champagne. She knew I knew who she was talking about.

I couldn't miss him even if I had wanted to. He was socializing with everyone at the party, like the social butterfly he liked to be.

I stood the baby up on my lap and bounced him around, "Your mom is so nosey, isn't she? Yes, she is."

I continued to make faces at the baby until the un-mistakeable smell of Armani cologne crept up behind me. My favorite smell. I froze for a moment before pretending like he didn't affect me.

Gwen straightened up in her seat and smiled wide. If she wasn't my cousin, I might have slapped her for looking at my man like that. "Well, hey handsome. I was wondering when you were going to come over here."

He laughed throatily, before leaning over me to kiss her cheek. "I'm sure you were the only one hoping I'd come over anyway."

I almost made a face but decided against it.

"I promise I wasn't the only one."

I peeked around Mason's tiny body to give my cousin a dirty look. She loved trying to start something.

Rafael reached over me to pinch the baby's cheeks. He made a face at him before taking him from my arms. He lifted him in the air once and then handed him over to Gwen. She stood up to take him before excusing herself and walking away.

I finally turned around to look at him. If I thought spying on him from a far made him look more mouthwatering, I was wrong. He looked ten times better in front of me. Of course, that was the lack of sex probably talking.

"You haven't said hello, Mona."

His eyes held mine so passionately. I almost felt like I was in trouble with the principal.