Chapter 1- Twist of Fate

---Zayne's POV---

I shivered, panting heavily as the Beta threw me back in the cage, growling to himself about the bloodstains left on his shirt before he walked off. My whole body ached, each breath that rushed through my throat a struggle.

Blood matted my fur and trickled down my paws as I shivered, unable to move for a few minutes. My limbs were shaking beyond control from the pain but I tried not to show it.

Weakness kills in our world.

The training was cut short by the Alpha himself, so I suppose I should be grateful for small favors. What would've been four hours of torture had luckily been reduced to a mere three hours before the Alpha had rushed out.

Judging by the way the Beta stopped the lesson, something was going on in the pack. Something that needed the leaders' full and immediate attention. The cool breeze ruffled through my fur as I slowly dragged my failing body to the back of my cage.

Curling up, I started licking my wounds, trying to close as many as possible with my healing enzymes before unconsciousness would drag me under. My scruff was still stinging from where the Beta's claws had dug into my flesh, pumping his toxins in my bloodstream.

I sighed when I realized there wasn't anything I could do now, not until the toxins had done their work. It was a natural ability for the high-ranking wolves to produce toxin in their claws. Normally it was only used in a fight with equals or when they wanted to interrogate a rogue.

But my pack didn't mind digging their claws into me every chance they got and since everyone here was superior to me, each and every scratch and scrape sizzled and burned.

"If the Alpha had joined in, I would've been rolling on the floor, howling in pain." I remembered myself before shivering at the awful memory. I had been eight years old and had broken the one rule.

Never, ever shift back. But I did it anyway, hoping that I could slip out of my cage and find some food.

And then the Alpha had spotted me.

I had never been so scared, so terrified as that moment, when the powerful frame of my Alpha had towered over me. I was a small boy for my age, and with my small frame of 45 inches and a pathetic weight of 38 pounds, I stood absolutely no chance against the male in the prime of his life.

The 6ft Alpha proceeded to extend his claws and scraped them over my shivering form. I had cried out, howling in pain and wetting myself from the poison that coursed through my veins, made my head throb and heart race in my chest.

Every time he had ordered to shift back and I failed because of the pain, he had added another scratch until finally, I managed to shift back and pass out in the process.

Stuck in the horrifying memories of my past, I didn't know when the memories became nightmares but I woke up instantly as I was jerked out of my cage and tossed in a linen bag.

The scent of the Alpha was enough to wake me up instantly, blinking the sleep out of my eyes as I tried to peer through the darkness. What little food that I had in my stomach was threatening to come out as I was tossed and turned in the bag before roughly thrown in the trunk.

My head whacked against the car, dazing me for a few seconds until I shook the stars away and decided on using my other senses. My ears twitched as I heard the heavy thumps of two other doors slamming shut before I jolted backwards when the car started and drove off.

The whole ride was spent with me skidding from one side to the other, roughly colliding into the car as it accelerated, stopped and took sharp turns. I had the sneaky suspicion that whoever was driving was doing it on purpose. Judging from the sneers and snide comments, they were thoroughly amusing themselves.