Chapter 25 - Little paws, big duties

---Zayne's POV---

My paws twitched along with my ears as I heard a few tired huffs and wolves grunting when a door slammed shut. I managed to pry an eye open but when I just saw Callum smiling and motioning to stay down and sleep, I closed my eyes and wiggled on the spot.

My mind provided me with memories of the whole pack ending up playing and mock fighting and though I had felt really hesitant and had often cowered back when one of the adult wolves had stumbled into me, my wolf had pleaded to join in, relax and play.

Rolling on my other side, I stilled when I felt a cold nose rub against mine. Blinking tiredly, my muzzle pulled open in a happy grin as I recognized Marcus' wolf and felt the reassuring weight of his paw on my shoulder.

My tail thumped against the floor when Marcus huffed in his sleep, using his paw to draw me closer and pull me in his embrace. I felt a relative new feeling rush through my veins while my wolf took over and happily started grooming Marcus' fur.

Is this what happiness feels like?

My tongue paused mid lick when Marcus groaned slightly but my tail picked up speed when he simply rolled on his back, belly up and inviting me to continue grooming. With a small yip, I crawled a bit closer and licked happily at his muzzle and throat.

"Cutie..."

Wyatt's voice rang through my mind, making me stop for a moment to turn my head. Everyone was slowly waking up, Wyatt trapped under Sebastian's paws but looking at me with perked ears. His tongue flopped out and he gave a silent woof before cuddling up to his mate again.

Marcus chose that moment to start huff and flop back on his side, tugging me closer and started grooming me as well, even if his eyes were still closed. I happily let it happen, feeling my wolf shake in excitement and my tail flopping around like crazy.

"Our mate!" my wolf shivered, making me happily squirm and return the loving gesture of grooming Marcus's fur while the gentle giant slowly slipped back to his slumber.

I licked my lips, spotting Mike lying on the couch, barely visible under the massive form of Terrance's wolf. The rest of the wolves were sprawled in the room, belly up or flattened on their stomach, snoring heavily.

How did I sleep through this noise?

A small whimper disturbed the wolves slightly; some sleepily pricked their ears up or moved to get up but seemed too tired to sit up all the way, eventually deciding nothing was wrong. My eyes found the source of the whimper though and eyed the two pups that hopped over adults and tenderly tiptoed past the sleeping pack.

Tilting my head slightly, I slowly yawned and stretched my body, clawing at the floor before I made to slip out of Marcus' embrace. I froze, paw still slightly lifted when Marcus let out a sleepy growl, prying his eyes open and blinking tiredly.

"Go back to sleep... I'm fine, just stretching my paws."

He shook his coat and blinked a few times before yawning, flashing his canines in the process. He hopped on his paws, giving me a gentle nuzzle and lick before strutting to the kitchen. I waited for a moment before going to the kids, wondering why they were so drawn to me in the first place.

Their tails were tucked in, the little girl shaking where she stood while her older sibling stood protectively over her, hackles slightly raised. It only made him look cute instead of ferocious, as it provided a whole new level of fluff in his neck.

...need help...

My ears shot up at the nearly inaudible voice before I slowly got closer to the pups. Lowering myself on my belly, I huffed happily when the pair got closer and relaxed enough to sit down.