Chapter 19 - Change

-Zayne's POV-

It hurt, so much. Even the torture I had been through with my former pack was nothing compared to the burning agony I was being put through now. At first, I didn't know what was happening to me and judging by how the rest of the pack huddled into the room, they didn't have a clue either.

My wolf was strangely silent, as if he didn't care that I was in pain. It wasn't until the bones started to break that my wolf spoke to me in soft, cooing tones. "Its alright Zayne, stop fighting it, we're fine."

I whimpered, flinching and unintentionally digging my claws into Marcus' skin but the man didn't so much as flinch. In fact, my pained cries seemed to do more harm to him and the others than my claws digging into his leg.

Everyone instantly started to coo, whispering muttered reassurances that I was okay, that I needed to relax and everything would be fine. But I was still panicking, especially because I still didn't know what was happening.

That is until the second bone snapped like a dry branch, making me spasm in pain. An apprehensive and shocked look slid over Marcus' face before he glanced at the others and whispered the words that made my heart race in my chest, panic overwhelming my brain at the dreaded words.

"He's shifting..."

Shifting.

No! No, no, no I couldn't, the Alpha! Surely he'll kill me once he finds out, and he will! Somehow he found out where I was and sent the Beta after me and if the Beta could find me, surely the others of the pack could and they'd finish the job this time.

I whimpered, trying to leap of the couch and hide but I was scooped up by gentle hands as they held me against a wide chest, fingers soothingly sifted through my fur while a string of panicked yelps slipped from my muzzle.

"Shh Zayne, its alright to shift. Its only going to hurt more if you tense and fight the change pup." Marcus hushed, soothing some of my fears. I whined pathetically as I buried my muzzle against his neck, yelping when another surge of pain shot through me.

"Its not okay...HE will know and HE will kill me for disobeying his command!" I cried in his mind, feeling him tense underneath me and a low snarl rumble through his chest as he straightened up.

Marcus voice was steady, the anger underneath barely hidden. "Do you mean to say that your former Alpha forbade you to shift? You haven't shifted at all since you were a kid?" I shook in his arms before gritting out a pained "Yes!" when my hip snapped.

Gods, the pain...someone, please, make it stop!

"No wonder why he's in so much pain." The girl, Alice commented softly as she pressed herself against her mate Logan. "If he hasn't changed for so long, the change will be extremely painful. His human body was that of a child last time but he's an adult now..."

She paused, the silence heavy in the air, as everyone grew silent, waiting for her to finish her sentence. Alice sighed heavily before whispering, "His bones need to grow to adulthood. Judging from how he's reacting, he's going to be in pain for several hours."

HOURS???

I whimpered my complaint, snuggling closer to Marcus and sighing as the pain lessened a tiny bit. My wolf was urging me to get even closer to Marcus, that we needed the bigger wolf as close as possible.

But why?

"Mate." My wolf whispered before yipping happily. "He's our mate!" I could feel the joy and excitement rushing through my body, dissolving any anxiety and fear that crossed its way as I realized why it felt so good to be in Marcus' arms, why I always felt this pull and why it was only him I could trust blindly.