Chapter 2 - Baited wolf

Warning; this chapters contains a dogs vs wolfpup fight. Violence occurs.

---Zayne's POV---

I shivered in the wind, the collar heavy on my thin neck as I tried to find a spot that was shielded better against the cold and the wind. The ground was hard, freezing cold nipping at my paw pads as I found a spot that was a bit shielded against the wind and relatively clean.

Settling down, I let out a huff and shivered harder, ignoring the strong scent that lingered in my cage. Jay didn't clean my pen, waste of effort he called it so I was forced to live in my own filth. Luckily I was a lot smarter than the other dogs and only used one corner of my cage, the most exposed one.

Two years.

Two years in this hellhole and the Alpha hasn't come back for me. I didn't know if I should howl in joy or whimper in sadness. My wolf had completely taken over as I rested somewhere in the back of my mind. The wind was bitter cold and a small twirling in the air made me sneeze softly.

Winter. Snow. Cold.

Last winter had been harsher. I remembered Mike sneaking me out of my carrier to tuck me in bed with him, shielding from the cold. Jay had noticed something was going on and had grown suspicious. It was during a snow storm that he caught Mike red-handed with me in his arms, just lifting me out of the carrier.

Jay had ripped me out of Mike's hold, roughly stuffed me pack in the tiny carrier and proceeded to throw me out in the snow, carrier and all. Mike had cried, protesting loudly and pleaded desperately with Jay to let me back inside. It was only after two hours that Jay allowed his sibling to run outside and bring be back to the warmth of their home.

"A lesson hard learned is a lesson you won't forget." He had smirked before going back to his television show and beer. Mike had spent the whole night warming me back up, rubbing my fur try and trying to stop the shaking.

Icy cold landed on my fur, too thin for the winter. I had been tossed out the house after the sleeping incident, because Mike had been caught feeding me in the middle of the night. There was a time where I had started to trust the boy, where I would shiver in anticipation of crawling in his arms and feel wanted.

Loved.

I snorted at that, shaking my head before curling up even tighter. I'm unlovable. My wolf whimpered at that but couldn't find any arguments against my statement, knowing it was true. We really are unlovable.

Our mother gave us up to live a happy life with her mate, our father. He hasn't even acknowledged us. The pack that was supposed to love me had despised me, abused me every single day until they saw the opportunity to get rid of me.

True, I suffered less of the physical abuse here than in the pack, with Jay only having three dogs to train instead of the whole pack using me as a training dummy. But having to live as a dog was degrading, humiliating.

The squeaky backdoor opened, making my ears flatten on instinct. A band of familiar men made their way to the backyard, a few dogs were pulling on their leashes, barking their heads off.

I sighed deeply, already knowing what was going to come. The show would start with those dogs getting their warm up and a taste of my blood. Jay was already walking to the pen, removing the lock off the door and snatched my chain in his skinny hands.

"Get a move on, runt." He growled, kicking at my hips as I quickly stalked past him. A soft whimper slipped past my lips as I warily assessed the other dogs. All of them were bigger than me, obviously, and packed way more muscle. One of the guys actually had to lean back when his dog lurched forward, snarling and snapping at the sight of me.