Chapter 5.55: Response

A/N: this gon be another short one, next full chapter coming soon! Also this is not a picture of my cat. I do not own a cat. This is a random image I pulled off of the Internet. It's what I imagine Socks looks like. You're welcome.

The window was open. That was the first thing Y/n had noticed when a chilly wind burst into the girls' dormitory and woke her up. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, trying to motivate herself enough to go close the window. 

She slipped out of the side of her bed, shivering when her bare feet touched the cold stone floor. She tiptoed over to the open window and peered out of it. The grounds were quiet. No student or teacher was to be seen, and most of the animals were asleep, too. She leaned back into her room and closed the windows, latching them and hoping they would stay that way. 

She heard the dormitory door creak open. Her entire body froze and her eyes widened. She slowly turned to see what had just entered, terrified. Her eyes landed on a little figure holding a candle. Its face was wrinkled and it had large, pointy ears. Its wide brown eyes were also stretched in fear. 

It was a house elf. Y/n had heard of them, but had never seen one before. "Hello," she tried. The elf gave a little squeak. 

"Oh, Miss, Blouser is so sorry!" the elf lamented. "Blouser did not mean to wake the miss up, Blouser is so very terribly sorry! Blouser- Blouser simply meant to bring the note master is needing her to deliver!" The elf walked shyly forward. 

"There's no need to apologize," Y/n told the elf, feeling curiously intrigued. Were all house elves like this? "Your name is Blouser?"

"Yes, Miss, that is what they is calling Blouser! I is Blouser the house elf!" The elf sank into a deep bow. "I is ready to serve anything you need, Miss. Does Miss wish anything of Blouser other than her note?"

Y/n's eyes brightened. "Can you tell me who sent it?" she inquired. Blouser shook her little head very quickly. 

"No, Miss, Blouser has been ordered not to reveal the identity of the note-sender. Blouser is terribly, terribly sorry!" 

Y/n deflated again. "No, no, it's alright, Blouser. I'll just have to figure it out on my own. May I have the note?"

"Yes, Miss, of course!" Blouser said enthusiastically. She scurried over to Y/n to place the note in her hand. "Is there anything else Miss wants Blouser to do for her?"

"No, thank you, Blouser," Y/n replied. Blouser bowed again. 

"'Tis nothing but an honor to Blouser to be serving the students of Hogwarts!" With that, the small house elf disappeared. 

Y/n sat down on her bed and opened the note. 

𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔜/𝔫, she read, surprised by the new greeting,

ℑ 𝔨𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔮𝔲𝔢𝔰𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫𝔰 𝔪𝔲𝔰𝔱 𝔟𝔢 𝔟𝔲𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔲𝔭. ℌ𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯, ℑ 𝔠𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔞𝔫𝔰𝔴𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔪 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔬𝔫𝔰 ℑ 𝔠𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔠𝔩𝔬𝔰𝔢. 𝔅𝔲𝔱 ℑ 𝔠𝔞𝔫 𝔱𝔢𝔩𝔩 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤. 𝔑𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔦𝔰 𝔞 𝔠𝔬𝔦𝔫𝔠𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔫𝔠𝔢. 𝔑𝔬𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔨𝔢𝔶𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔦𝔫, 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔯𝔰 𝔱𝔬 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔖𝔩𝔶𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔫 𝔣𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔫𝔡, 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔪𝔦𝔰𝔰𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔠𝔞𝔱. 𝔒𝔥, 𝔴𝔞𝔦𝔱, 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔡𝔦𝔡𝔫'𝔱 𝔨𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔟𝔬𝔲𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔞𝔱, 𝔡𝔦𝔡 𝔶𝔬𝔲? 𝔚𝔢𝔩𝔩, ℑ 𝔰𝔲𝔭𝔭𝔬𝔰𝔢 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔡𝔬. 𝔊𝔬𝔬𝔡 𝔩𝔲𝔠𝔨 𝔣𝔦𝔫𝔡𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔖𝔬𝔠𝔨𝔰- ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔥𝔦𝔡𝔡𝔢𝔫 𝔥𝔦𝔪 𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔩.
𝔅𝔢𝔰𝔱,

𝔄𝔫𝔬𝔫𝔶𝔪𝔬𝔲𝔰 𝔑𝔬𝔱𝔢-𝔖𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔢𝔯

"My cat?!" Y/n questioned to herself. Her eyes widened and she checked Socks' cage underneath her bed to see if he was there. She fully expected the note-sender to have lied, because she had just seen Socks sleeping peacefully in the cage just before bed. 

But Socks was gone.