Chapter the Sixth: Others

A/N: Big one! Enjoy!

Y/n was deep in thought when she arrived in Potions with Hermione the next day. Her brain echoed with the words from the note Blouser had delivered the previous night as she sat down at her table. None of this is a coincidence. Somehow, some way, the note-sender had known her thoughts. Whoever they were, they could somehow see into her head, predict every move... it had kept her up the rest of the night. She'd tossed and turned in her bed, mind pounding the scary thoughts into her head, making sure she could never forget them. It had been a relief when the sun rose. 

"Hey Y/n," Daniel begged impatiently. His eyebrows furrowed and he shook her shoulder. "Please snap out of it, I'm trying to talk to you."

It pulled her mostly out of her stupor, though the thoughts remained in the back of her mind as she mumbled, "Oh, sorry. What were you...?"

"I was asking how you were." 

"Oh, I'm fine, thanks," she replied and went back to thinking. He groaned and shook her shoulder again. "What?"

"I wasn't done with you. So... is that it? There's not anything, say... new going on?" he queried. He looked around to see if anyone was listening as he spoke. She hesitated. 

"Well, I-"

Snape finished scribbling a recipe onto the board and turned to face the students, causing the class to fall absolutely silent. He wore an especially sour face today as he glared at all of them. "Everyone, take your seats," he snapped. "Today we will be brewing up simple color-change potions- pour it on an object and its color will change. These potions are so simple that even a cotton-headed ninny muggins couldn't screw it up... but then again, this class never ceases to amaze me."

They all grabbed ingredients from the front and began brewing. Daniel watched Y/n dump the dried flower petals into the cauldron. 

"So, Y/n," he began. Y/n grabbed the next ingredient (squid ink) and measured. "What was it you were going to say before class started?"

She began to stir the potion in a counterclockwise direction. Concentrating on the potion, she spoke slowly. "Well... I suppose there's been a bit of a development to our situation."

"What do you mean, 'a development', Weasley?" came Malfoy's drawling voice from behind them. "What are you talking about with Johnson?"

"That's really none of your business, now is it, Malfoy?" Y/n retorted, sending a dark look over her shoulder at the pale-haired boy. "I wasn't talking to you, so you can go ahead and stuff it."

Malfoy sneered, his eyes darkening with anger. "No, really, Weasley. I want to know what you're talking about. What kind of development? Did your father finally get a promotion out of that dump he's been working in at the Ministry? My father told me it looks an absolute mess in his office- not that he would ever go to visit, of course, my father has got much better things to be doing than visiting with a filthy Muggle-lover like your-"

A stool crashed and they turned to find Harry struggling to hold back a snarling Ron. "You shut your mouth right now, Malfoy!" he growled. Malfoy merely smirked. His demeanor remained as arrogant as ever. 

"Oh right, there's the other one. I'd almost forgotten about you. What was your name again? Reginald? Rory?"

"It's Ronald," Y/n defended, crossing her arms. "Now go mind your own business."

Malfoy glanced at Ron, who had stopped struggling. He looked back into Y/n's eyes and with a mischievous grin, said, "Make me."

There was a huge commotion as Y/n and Ron pulled out their wands- but Daniel had beaten them to it. He hexed Malfoy, who collapsed to the floor, clutching his nose. He lifted his hands away to reveal small roots growing out of his nostrils. Several girls squealed and one knocked over her cauldron, dousing her partner with potion. Bright green spots appeared on her partner's skin, and he started to freak out. "Get them off!" he screamed. "Get them off!!"