Chapter the Fifth: Coincidences

Weeks passed and Y/n anxiously awaited a second note- preferably one that explained the first one. However, none came. Soon, she forgot all about the first note.

She'd been plenty busy, dividing her time between classes, homework, Hermione and Neville, and Daniel. She only ever saw Daniel in their Potions class together, so she ended up spending most of her time off with him. It seemed, though, that whenever she did hang out with Daniel, Malfoy and his lackeys were never far behind. She was beginning to grow annoyed with it. 

She looked up from the food on her plate at the Slytherin table. Daniel stared down at his plate, picking at his food with his fork. She shifted her gaze. It landed on Malfoy. He was looking at her. When their eyes made contact, he turned his head away and laughed as though the girl sitting next to him- Pansy Parkinson- had just told the most hilarious joke he'd ever heard. Y/n rolled her eyes. Sometimes she wished that her eyes could shoot lasers, like in the Muggle movies. If they could, there would have been twin holes in Malfoy's head. He sure deserved it.

As soon as dinner was over, Y/n and Hermione were out of the Great Hall and on their way to the Gryffindor common room. Once they reached it, they went up to their dormitory. Y/n grabbed her bag from beside her bed- and spilled everything in it.

"Oh, this is absolutely lovely," Y/n commented. She bent over to start picking up her things and Hermione joined her. 

"Y/n?" Hermione said. Y/n looked up at her. She was holding another small envelope just like the one she'd received weeks earlier. She handed it to Y/n.

Y/n tore it open. Inside was a small keychain that looked just like the Superman from the Muggle movies she'd been thinking of before. She held it up and raised her eyebrows. Had whoever had sent the note known what she was thinking about?

No. It was just a freaky coincidence. There was no way they could have known what she was thinking. 

Right?

She looked back into the envelope and pulled out the accompanying note. 

ℌ𝔞𝔳𝔢𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔬𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔫 𝔪𝔢, 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲?

Again, that was all that it said. There was no signature or anything; just the words in fancy handwriting. She handed the note and keychain to Hermione, who examined them very closely. Millions of questions spun around her mind. Why was she getting these notes? Were they meant to get her attention? Who was writing them? Would they ever reveal themselves? Or would they just keep their identity a secret?

"This is a Muggle thing," Hermione stated, pulling Y/n out of her bemusement. "Why would they give you this?"

"I don't know."

Parvati and Lavender walked into the room, chatting happily. They stopped when they saw the note and keychain in Hermione's hands. 

"You got another one?" Parvati inquired. Hermione handed the note to Lavender, who read is and then passed it to Parvati. 

"What does it mean, 'Haven't forgotten me?'"Lavender asked. 

"Well, I haven't gotten one for ages," Y/n said, "So I stopped thinking about it. I think this is their way of reminding me that they're still out there... and they haven't forgotten about me."

All of the girls were silent for a moment. Finally, Lavender spoke. 

"Maybe we should try and figure out who it is!" she exclaimed.