Chapter the First: Express

Y/n/n - your nickname

King's Cross was crowded. Y/n, though she had been here many times before, suddenly became very afraid of getting lost. However, she simply brushed aside her newfound fear and followed her brother Percy.

After a few minutes of walking to Platform 9 ¾, she noticed that a dark-haired boy had started to follow them. She tugged quietly on Ron's sleeve and pointed to him, trying not to be too obvious. Ron looked and shrugged.

When they got to the entrance to the platform, they paused.

"Alright Y/n, why don't you go first?" her mother asked. "And Percy, you follow her."

Her stomach twisted into an excited knot. She rolled the trolley toward the brick wall. Although years of experience told her otherwise, she couldn't help but flinch as she passed through, expecting to run into a normal wall rather than through a magical barrier.

She slowed as she saw the familiar scarlet steam engine waiting there (just for her, she liked to think). Her cat hissed.

"Quiet, Socks," she whispered into his cage. He immediately quieted. She turned around to wait for her family to come through the barrier.

Next came Fred and George (she was certain she was the only one who could always tell the difference between the two), and after that, Ron and the dark-haired boy. After that was her mom, Ginny, and her dad. (Who wants her to be wrong about telling the difference between Fred and George? Comment or vote if you do)

She looked curiously at the dark-haired boy as he stared at the engine like it was the most wonderful thing he'd ever seen. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to see his face. 

He started toward the engine as it gave a loud whistle. She looked at Ron.

"Who is he?" she asked. Ron shrugged.

"He asked Mum for help finding the platform."

Strange, she thought. He must not come from a magical family. Is that why he came alone? Why aren't his parents here? 

She hugged and kissed her parents goodbye and hurried onto the train. She stopped when Fred and George passed her, looking very excited.

George grabbed her by the shoulders. "You'll never guess who we just met, Y/n/n."

"Who?" she asked.

"You know that dark-haired boy- you can't deny that you saw him, we know you did," Fred replied. "Well... turns out, he's Harry Potter."

"Really?" she asked. "Wicked. But... shouldn't he have guardians? It looks like he came here alone..."

Fred and George shrugged. "Beats us."

They scurried away. She started strolling down the train, seeing which compartments were full and which weren't. Most of them were; others had people who looked like they didn't want to be bothered.

When she got to the end of the train, she found a compartment that contained the twins.

"Hello again, Y/n," Fred greeted her. "Fancy meeting you here."

She rolled her eyes. They landed on a boy with jet-black hair; that wasn't him, was it? She hadn't gotten a very good look at his face.

She rolled her eyes. "It looks like this compartment is full, so I'll go now. See you two later!"

With that, she closed the compartment door and began searching for a compartment again.

Down five doors, she found Ron and yet another black-haired boy.