Chapter the 5.5: Cambry

A/N: So sorry about the wait! I'll try harder, I promise!!

DANIEL'S POV

What a great end to the day, Daniel thought as Gregory Goyle pinned him against the wall. His skull hit the cold wall and pain spiked through his head. He'd hoped that he'd find some peace in the common room to do his homework, but no such luck. Apparently, he'd pissed Malfoy off too badly for that. 

Malfoy stalked toward him, scowling. His eyes were dark with rage. "You know, you've really got some nerve, Johnson," he spat in Daniel's face. "I'll have you know that if you ever dare to speak to me again like you did today, there will be serious consequences."

Goyle's hand pressed tighter on Daniel's chest, making it hard for him to breathe. Still, he pulled his face into a smirk and said, "Did I offend you? I'm so sorry- not."

Malfoy growled and Goyle twisted his fist in Daniel's shirt and lifted him off the ground. Daniel's hands flew up to grasp Goyle's wrist. "Augh!"

"I'm very tempted to let you have a taste of what could happen, Johnson," Malfoy threatened, pulling out his wand. Daniel swallowed hard. 

"I'm not- I'm not scared of you, Malfoy," Daniel tried. However, his voice squeaked, giving away the fact that he was very scared. Crabbe, Goyle, and Malfoy all laughed and he gave up the brave act. "Lemme down, Malfoy! Please!"

Malfoy acted as though he was thinking it over a bit, then smirked. "No, I don't think I will."

"Lay off him, Malfoy," came a voice from the other side of the common room. Malfoy and Crabbe turned around to see where it was coming from, and Daniel looked over Goyle's huge shoulders to see who it was.

A blonde fifth-year girl walked over to them. Her eyes were a stormy blue and Daniel noticed that she was wearing a prefect's badge. Malfoy's demeanor changed as he noticed the badge as well, and he motioned for Goyle to let Daniel down. Goyle immediately let Daniel drop to the floor. 

"What makes you think that you have any right to attack another student?!" she  scolded. 

Malfoy glanced at his goons, then turned his stare back to the girl. "He needed to learn his place," he said. 

"Tch," the girl scoffed. "That's a sorry excuse. If I ever see you three messing with him again, I will take points from Slytherin and give you a week's worth detention. Got it?"

"Whatever," Malfoy replied. He glared at Daniel one last time. "C'mon, Crabbe, Goyle."

They stalked off. Once the boys were gone, Daniel felt like he could breathe easier. The girl came toward him and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright?" 

Daniel looked up into her eyes again, surprised to find that they weren't the same stormy blue he'd seen before. "Yeah, thank you."

"No problem," she replied. She bent over to help retrieve Daniel's things from the floor. "My name's Cambry." She gave him a warm smile and handed him his books. "What's yours?" 

"Daniel," he replied. "Daniel Johnson." 

"Well, Daniel, if those three ever bother you again, don't hesitate to come to me about it," she told him. "They really shouldn't be treating you like this."

She led him to an empty table. "Thanks," he told her again.

"No problem," she said. "If you need me, I'll be over there." She pointed to a table about two tables away, which was full of students that were talking, laughing, and playing card games. 

He sat down as she walked away and pulled out a small book he'd received that morning when the mail came during breakfast. His parents had suggested that he write down his feelings in a journal after he sent his last letter and they sent him one. 

He tapped his fingers on the dark table, wondering where he should start. 

I'll have you know that I've never written in a journal before, he began, so don't expect me to be great at it. Mum and Dad think I should write my feelings down in here, so I might as well give it a go. 

I don't really feel like I belong here in Slytherin. None of the other first years in my house talk to me- well, except Draco Malfoy, who only ever speaks to me just to make fun. I wish I was in Gryffindor; that's where my sister Angelina and my only friend Y/n are. Y/n and her friends are really the only people that treat me like a human being (besides Cambry, but I just met her). Speaking of Y/n, something really weird has been going on. Both she and I are getting these notes from someone, and we don't know who it is or why they're sending them. Y/n just got another one from them with a key chain of a Muggle superhero, apparently. I didn't get to see it, so I don't exactly know what that is. 

I really hope that things get better. 

-Daniel

He finished and closed the small leather-bound journal. Unwilling to go up to his dormitory and risk another Malfoy attack, Daniel went and sat in front of the green sofa closest to the fireplace. He drew his knees up to his chest and quickly fell asleep in the flickering warmth of the fire. 

Another A/N: Again, I am so, so sorry for the wait. I've been doing so much lately, like school and art and writing and making my own cape so I can be Sophie Foster for Halloween, that I'm getting nowhere with ANY of those things. But here you go! Daniel's POV, only slightly edited from the rough draft... sorry about that. 

Edit: I'm so sorry, I just realized I got Y/n's name wrong! I write it from the POV of a girl named Ally, but I switch it to Y/n when I publish. Please, if I ever do that again, don't hesitate to let me know in the comments! That would help me so much. Thank you guys!!