Chapter Two

Bold: William
Italics : Malaika

Do you know what you get after sleeping for only one hour each night? A B+ instead of an A in your opener exams, a scolding from your aunt about how stupid you are and will never get anywhere and of course extra long hours at the cafe.

By the time I was done scrubbing the diner from top to bottom, cleaning out the freezer and doing all the dishes it was two am in the morning. Lucky for me I'd already done all my homework in between classes. I felt like Cinderella except she had a fairly godmother and got to go to the ball where she met her Prince charming. Well me, I had nobody. Even Simon had been a scared off by my aunt's yelling that day so he ran back to his shop.

I had eaten a few left over samosas for supper and even though they were long gone I was too tired to make anything else. I trudged upstairs after locking the diner and let myself into the apartment making as little noise as possible to avoid waking my aunt up. If I woke her, I'd get a beating and my body was already sore enough. I pushed the sofa to the middle of the living room, rolled out my mattress, spread the sheet carelessly and tossed the pillow on top. I switched off the light and literally dropped down like a sack of potatoes. You would think that after being so tired it'd be easy to sleep but no, thirty minutes later I gave up and reached for my phone.

I plugged in the earphones and for some reason sound myself clicking on Tiktok. There was a tiny red five on my inbox page which was weird. Why would I get notifications if I didn't have any videos uploaded? Then I remembered my comments from the previous night. Maybe someone had replied to them. I clicked on the inbox bar and I must have been seeing things because William himself had responded to all my comments. He had even sent me a private message which meant he had followed me back. I had only followed him last minute wanting to see more of his videos without having to always search his name. And no I wasn't crushing on him, I had no time for stupid crushes. I opened the message with shaking hands reading it with wide eyes.

Hi there @midnight_owl_254. I just wanted to say thank you for your concern. I will be more careful.

I debated with myself on whether to reply or not? What was the worst that could happen anyway seeing as he was a stranger on the Internet who couldn't possibly know me or my aunt. Plus I was sleep deprived, tired and hungry which was the perfect combination for terrible decisions. I soon found myself typing fast before I changed my mind.

You're welcome.

Simple and sweet like me. Who was I kidding, I was most likely sour like lemons. I'd never tasted myself so I wasn't so sure. Who even tastes themselves? I really needed to get some sleep before my thoughts became weirder.

I was planning on exiting the app so I could force myself to sleep but a buzzing noise alerted me and I noticed that William had responded to my message.

You really are a night owl. Isn't it like three am for you?

Panicking as to how he knew where I was from I found myself typing out the question fast. There were no personal details on my account.

How do you know where I'm from? Are you a hacker? Or a stalker.

Calm down. I recognized your country code, 254 is Kenya right.

What if it's just a random number?

Is it?

I could almost see the smirk as he typed that.

Are you a stalker?

You texted me first lady.

Who says I'm a lady? And no I didn't, you texted me first.

I just assumed from your profile that you're a girl.

You assume a lot of stuff.

I know but I was bored and your comments were different and intriguing.

Intriguing how?

Well most people comment either asking for more dangerous stunts or commenting on my looks. Yours were different in a sense that you seemed genuinely concerned for my safety.

......

So are you a girl and are you from Kenya?

Why do you care?

Humor me, your already know my name, age and that I'm in highschool. Give me something to work with here.

Why?

Because you and I can become really good friends.

I don't think so, we're continents apart.

So you agree you are Kenyan?

Okay fine. Yeah I am Kenyan and that's all you're getting from me.

Oh come one I already knew that.

Goodnight virtual friend to be.

Don't go yet.

.........

And she's gone.

🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐🍐

How did I do for this chapter?