Chapter Fourteen

You know what prize I got for bringing home five thousand Kenyan shillings as a prize for being the top candidate at the end of term exams? Inventory and auditing. Yeah that's right, I didn't get a good meal, a day off or at least a pat in the back. My aunt shoved a book in my hands and sent me into the storage room to do her math and take notes of her stock. I didn't complain though since I was already used to her eating the fruits of my effort.

By the time I was done the diner was closed and my aunt had retired to bed. I was feeling tired but for once I decided to treat myself. I had worked so hard that I deserved a little appreciation. If my aunt wasn't going to give it to me then I'd do it myself.

I grabbed all the ingredients that I needed to make a delicious meal and laid it all out getting to work. She wouldn't know if the stuff was missing as long as I used the right portions, cleaned up after and made the right corrections in the inventory.

By the time I was done cooking I had a plate of white rice, peas, potatoes and meat so professionally arranged I felt like I was in a five star hotel. I knew they served much better food in those hotels but that was as much as I could afford in my state.

To complete the meal I called William and propped the phone up on a cutlery holder so I didn't have to keep holding it.

Hi Angel.

Hi William. What are you doing?

Nothing much, the guys are supposed to come over but that's later.

Join me for dinner?

I would love to, give me a few minutes.

Okay.

He didn't cut the call but he must have put his phone in his pocket because all I could see was darkness but I could still hear him. I heard him walk and descend what I guessed was stairs before he started shuffling around. There was beeping and more shuffling of utensils hitting each other. I stopped paying attention and got up to pour myself a glass of juice from the fridge.

When I sat back down William had come back and made himself a plate of food too.

That was fast, what did you make?

It's spaghetti and I didn't make it. I just warmed some left overs from the fridge.

Do you know how to cook?

Honestly no but I make a mean cup of coffee.

Anyone can make coffee William.

Louis once burnt water so no, not everyone can cook.

How do you burn water?

I don't know but Louis managed to do it.

He's the only one I haven't met yet.

They keep bugging me about it but I always say no. They might say some stuff to change your image of me. You'll meet him soon though after I'm sure you can't leave.

Looking forward to it plus no one can change how I see you. I know who you really are and not even your friends can convince me otherwise.

I really hope so but let's not talk about that. You had your prize giving today. How did it go?

I won some money, five thousand shillings but my aunt took all of it and gave me more work as my prize instead.

Congratulations Angel but you endure so much under her. Are you sure you can't runaway?

And go where?

Here... I'll get you a plane ticket.

I'm flattered honestly and I'd love to see you but a plane ticket is the easiest part. My aunt made sure she has control over my whole life. I don't even know when my birthday is seeing as I've never seen my birth certificate.

Seriously?

Yeah so there's no way I can apply for my ID when I turn eighteen, get a driver's license or a Visa if I was to travel.

Your aunt is a monster.

Yeah but she's the only family I have.

She's not family, family doesn't do that to each other. She's someone who tried to raise you and failed since she only does it for her own gain.

Others have it worse.

You deserve the world Angel and it makes me sad and angry that I can't give it to you.

It made me sad whenever William started talking like that. I knew he wanted to be able to do so much for me but I lived under my aunt's rule so that even if he tried to help it would be worthless. We didn't have social workers like they did in the USA who I could approach for help. I mean there were such services but they were so corrupt they must have as well been nonexistent.

Don't talk like that. You give me more than anyone ever has in my life.

I could do more.

William.

Yes darling.

You're ruining our first dinner together with your moping.

He laughed at the disapproving look on my face.

You're right I'm sorry. This is like the first time we're sharing a meal, virtual or not and we should be talking about the fun stuff.

Exactly now let's talk about anything else but my aunt.

Okay my love.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Happy valentines day my darlings. If you haven't been told this today, you are an amazing, beautiful and blessed human being and I love you so much. Don't forget to smile, even when the whole world is against you. It throws off the haters.... 🌹🌹🌹🌹