Chapter Eleven

I was doing laundry humming to myself, lost in my own world when my aunt walked into the bathroom. I stepped aside thinking that she needed something but instead she stood toe to toe with me glaring at me.

"Why are you humming?"She asked as if it was the biggest sin in the world.

I didn't reply and just kept silent knowing my reply would make her mad.

"What's got you so happy?"

I wanted to shout the name William but then she'd be onto me and I'd be doomed.

"What are you hiding?"She was getting frustrated but I would not satisfy her with a reply.

"I know you're hiding something from me. I just can't put my finger on it but when I do and I always do you're going to rue the day you were born. Now get out of my way."She hissed threateningly.

I wasn't in her way but she still pushed me and I fell butt first into a huge plastic basin with soapy water. I gasped when I realized what she had done. My phone had been in my pocket and since I was waist deep in the water it was soaked. I couldn't get up because my aunt was staring at me daring me to make a move so I just sat there any hope of saving my phone dwindling with each passing second.

"Make sure you're done with all this in an hour. After that scrub this bathroom top to bottom then move to the living room."She instructed and instead of replying I just sat there willing the tears not to fall.

"Do I make myself clear?!"She yelled and I flinched.

"Yes aunt."I whispered.

When she finally left I jumped out of the water and fished out my phone drying it on a towel. The battery was inbuilt so I couldn't disassemble it and try to dry it inside. I rushed to the kitchen and quickly put it in a bowl of rice hoping to make it better. I took a deep breath willing the tears not to fall but a few escaped my eyes.

If my phone died then so did my relationship with William seeing as my phone was my only connection to him. Reciting a prayer to God for help, I went back to the bathroom to finish the laundry knowing the phone needed time.

There hours later I had finished doing the laundry, changed into dry clothes, scrubbed the apartment top to bottom and cooked my aunt lunch. She retired to her bedroom after eating so I took that chance to fish the phone out and check up on it. I tried to turn it on but to no avail. I didn't want to cry or loose hope yet so I decided to go down and see Simon, he could help me.

I checked in on my aunt and realized that she was asleep so I quietly snuck out of the house and went to Simon's shop. He didn't go to church so he was always open on Sundays.

I used the back door to avoid being seen by people. He smiled immediately he saw me but it dropped once he saw the look on my face. He pulled me into a hug that I fell into his embrace tears escaping my eyes. If I had a dad out there, I wished he was like Simon, kind and good hearted.

"What did she do this time?"He asked already knowing the cause of my tears.

"She pushed me into a basin of water."I cried.

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"My phone was in my pocket."I replied more tears falling from my face.

"Now that is bad."He agreed and we broke off our hug.

"I soaked it in rice for three hours but it didn't help."I explained phone clutched tightly in hand.