Chapter Seventeen

William - Bold

Malaika - Italics

Harry - Normal underlined

Louis -Bold italics

I'd gotten familiar with the nurses so when they saw me, they waved at me smiling and I waved back as I walked towards Simon's room. He was diagnosed with Hypertension and had been in the hospital for about two weeks. I went to check on him everyday after school since I was all he had. The doctors had assured me that he would be okay but they had to keep him a little longer to ensure that he wouldn't relapse again. He would be discharged in a few days allowing him to go back to work. I had been so relieved to hear he had medical insurance because his bills would have been stressful to pay.

My aunt was definitely mad at me for defying her considering she worked me like a donkey each time I got to the diner from the hospital. I didn't care though, Simon had been kind to me all my life and it was my turn to repay the favor. He didn't like that I was getting punished because of him but all that mattered was that I was there for him just like he had been for me.

I found Simon sleeping so instead of waking him up, I just sat by his bedside and retrieved my phone from my bag. I carried it to school so I could use it at the hospital. The nurses had given me the WiFi password as per Simon's request and I used it to the maximum.

As soon as the phone turned on it started vibrating with messages. I smiled to myself knowing they were all from one person. I opened my inbox and found a lot of texts from William talking about how he missed me and wished I had been there for him during his graduation. He had just graduated high school and was accepted to the university of his dreams together with his best friends. There were two videos attached and I reduced the volume on my phone before opening the first one.

It was on William waking to the podium to receive his diploma. He looked so handsome dressed in a blue graduation gown and a matching cap. His blonde curls peaked out from under the cap and his smile was so wide I found myself smiling back. He shook hands with who I assumed was the principal as he was handed his diploma. I heard Harry, Louis and a few more people hooting at him in the background and it made me laugh. Whoever was taking the video focused on William's face as he walked back to his seat. As happy as his smile was I could see the sadness in his eyes and I knew why. He wanted me to be there with him and we both knew that was impossible. Putting aside those thoughts I opened the next video.

That was one taken personally by William. His graduation cap was off but he still had his gown on. I could hear noise in the background meaning he was still at school.

Hi Angel, guess who graduated today. Yes me, I have been waiting for this day ever since I started high school but I'm not happy. You know why, because you're not here. Why aren't you here? I know why but it still doesn't make me feel any better. You asked me to stop being sad and enjoy but how can I when the one person I want here with me isn't. (pause followed by heavy sigh) I miss you and.....

He was interrupted by Louis and Harry who jumped on him ruffling his hair. They noticed what he was doing and their faces brightened.

Hi Malaika, we graduated today.

She can see that stupid.

Don't call me stupid, my GPA is higher than yours.

By one point.

It still counts.