Chapter Six

Three days after my heart got broken by William, it was still shattered but my life didn't stop just because I'd been foolish enough to believe that some tiktoker with thousands of followers and lots of friends could actually care about me. I still went to school, studied hard, worked even harder at the cafe and got pushed around by my aunt. She'd hadn't beat me in a while and I think it's because she was secretly afraid of me.

I had grown taller from when she used to beat me and we were basically the same height since she was 5'3 and I was 5'2. I'd also inherited my body size from my mom. I had a slim upper body with small boobs, a tiny waist but my butt was all the way out there. I wore baggy clothes all the time, second hand or hand me downs from the church donations but they didn't do much to hide my big bum. It made me look bigger than my aunt and if it helped keep her away then I thanked my mom for it. It's the only thing she'd given me besides life and her last name, Wangari.

I used to ask my aunt about my mom when I was younger but whenever I did she beat me so I stopped asking. Simon didn't know her since he'd moved into the building when I was five years old otherwise he would have told me.I accepted that I would never know anything about my mom so I learnt to move on with my life.

I tossed around on the mattress for the tenth time and sighed heavily giving up on trying to sleep. It was half past three in the morning and it seemed like it was going to be another long sleepless night. I hadn't touched my phone ever since I sent that voicenote to William. I didn't want to see it since it was a reminder of what he had said to me. I still hurt but I needed to move on. I'd only known him for a month so it wasn't a big deal. Yeah I was lying to myself to try and feel better but it wasn't working.

I decided to go online and uninstall Instagram and Tiktok and be done with them. Tiktok went first but before I uninstalled Instagram I opened the app first, it was like a push demanding that I check my inbox. I did and there was a message there from William. Probably more insults. He had already done as much damage as he could so I plugged in my earphones and clicked on it to listen. The message was longer than the one he had sent me the previous time. How many insults could someone have? There was nothing he could say to make me feel any worse. Boy was I wrong.

Hi Angel. (Pause and deep intake of breath) Oh God, I don't even know where to start but first of all I just want to apologize. I am so sorry for everything that I said in that voice note. I was drunk, angry, hurt and even though that's not an excuse for what I said I still wanted you to know. I can't believe that the first time I hear your voice, you're crying and its all because of me. I feel like such an asshole and frankly speaking I am an ass. Fuck, sorry. I know you don't like it when I cuss but I just don't know what to say to express how sorry I am. If I could take it all back I would but after I sent it, I passed out and didn't remember sending it the next morning otherwise I would have deleted it. I didn't mean any of it and hearing your voice just proved to me that you are genuine, not that I needed proof anyway. Terrible advice from friends and alcohol cost me your friendship and as much as I blame them, I'm seriously the one at fault for saying all those hurtful things. I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry and I'll understand if you never want to talk to me again but I would really like a second chance. I don't want my last memory of you to be of your crying voice. I'm sorry angel. Give me a second chance and I'll prove to you that I am good and that I deserve your friendship. I know that's long but I had to get it out of my chest. Yeah that's it. Think about it, I'll be waiting for you're response.

Complete and utter silence is what followed after I listened to what he had to say. I didn't know what to think or say. He had sounded genuine but he had still hurt me. What was I supposed to do? Forgive him and put myself out there giving him the chance to hurt me again. If I decided to cut him off completely I would go back to my sad lonely life with no excitement. But was the excitement worth another broken heart. I was in a dilemma.

My phone vibrated on my chest and I unlocked it to see a message from William. Another followed after it and they kept coming.

Hi Angel.

Please don't ignore me.

I can see that you're online.

Please text me back.

I'm really sorry.

Say anything even if it's just an emoji.

Please.

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡🥺🥺😢 😢

Please don't cry anymore because of me. The anger I can handle but not the sad pouty face and the tears.

What will it take for you to forgive me?

Name your price and I'll pay it.

I don't want your money.

I know and that's what I like best about you.

Oh shit you actually replied. Thank you so much.

Don't cuss.

Sorry Angel.

It's Malaika.

I like Angel better.

Do you forgive me?

No.

Then will you give me a chance to earn your forgiveness?

........

Pretty please with a cherry on top. I will always regret what I said and I promise it will never happen again.

What if you get drunk again or get influenced by your friends?

I quit drinking, it was my first time and I hated it. It cost me your friendship and its just not worth it.

Please forgive me.

Fine. But William if you hurt me again.....

I won't, I promise Angel. Thank you for the second chance.

🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋

Lemons are sour and so are you but they make lemonade and that's sour too.

Terrible poetry I know.

So what do you guys think of the book so far?