Chapter 11

America was trying to wring out her dress and failing miserably. I threw my head back and laughed, dodging before she playfully smacked my arm. She eventually gave up and hooked her arm in mine as we made our way back down to the theatre.

"I vote for a comedy," America sang.

"I vote for action," I replied.

"Well you just told me I was worth it so I think I win," she said, grinning. I sighed with fake annoyance.

"Fine," I obliged. We rounded a corner and we were stopped dead in our tracks. Shit. My father stood there looking mildy surprised and confused, surrounded by a few advisors. That confusion turned to anger in an instant when he noticed we were dripping wet. I didn't know what to say or do except protectively stand in front of America.

"I'm assuming this was your idea," he said distastefully. I lowered my head a little being caught red handed.

"Yes."

"Do you have any idea how much danger you put yourself in?" he said harshly.

"Father, we were fine. There are no rebels on the roof."

"I don't care about her," he said cutting me off, "I care about you. All it takes is one well aimed bullet and the only heir to the throne is gone." I felt America tremble against me and I squeezed her hand behind me for reassurance. "You already know that we're stretched very thin now that a little less than half our guards are out protecting the homes of the remaining ladies, not to mention that several of them have gone AWOL." I frowned. He could have easily had this conversation with me privately but I could tell he wanted America to feel guilty for some reason. He glared past me at America who was using my body as a shield. I side stepped to obstruct his view.

"Get cleaned up," he demanded.

"But-"

"Now." It was my day off and he knew that. I sighed in defeat and let go of America's hand. He turned and I followed him and the other people with him away from the movie theatre. I turned around and made a heart gesture at America and mouthed the word 'sorry' before turning a corner with him. I noticed the sympathetic smile on her face before it disappeared from view. I glanced up at my father who was walking beside me, trying to read his face. He was irritated for sure but I also noticed he looked worried and...older? My parents were old, but da-my father seemed to age much faster after carrying all the duties of a king on his back.

"Meet me in the conference room in fifteen minutes. I've called a meeting," he said as he trudged away with a blanket of gloom around his shoulders. I shuddered before entering my own room where Hunter was already waiting.

"Where have you been?" he questioned. I couldn't help the smile and blush that grew on my face. Hunter gasped. "You were with a girl," he teased.

"Shut up," I said shoving him. Even then, I couldn't part with my smile. "I need to shower and then head to a meeting. Please prepare a dry set of clothes," I said before entering my bathroom. I peeled the wet and cold clothing off of my body and stepped into the shower, the water automatically coming down. I looked into the mirror on the shower wall as the hot drops streamed down and eased the tension in my muscles. I brought my fingers to my lips, remembering our kiss. Whenever I was with America, it's like my whole word was just her. I didn't think of my duties or burdens, I didn't think of the other Elite, I definitely didn't think of the risks and consequences of some of our actions, just her. I wanted so badly to end the selection now. I could stop this relationship that I had brewing with Kriss now before it became any deeper and marry this woman.

I was too afraid, though. Even with all the good memories I had, the bad ones always came nagging soon after, reminding me how often we fight and trying to convince me that she doesn't love me. I couldn't read her anymore, that was true, so it was impossible for me to tell how she really felt unless she said it. I couldn't risk giving my all to someone who couldn't guarantee that they would do the same. I knew how I felt but saying those words aloud and not hearing them back...I don't think I could recover. At times like these, I felt for Daphne. She had confessed her feelings for me so boldy, so bravely and I had turned her down. Then, I didn't really think deeply about the pain she must have felt, but now it was easier to tell. Rejection from someone you're head over heels for...it had to hurt more than a gunshot wound.

---

I walked briskly to the conference room even though I was early. I always tried to get there ahead of my father but it was in vain. He managed to get there before me every time, notes organized and everything. I often wondered why we never used tablets and computers anymore. My father kept me in the dark about a lot of things, but that didn't mean I was stupid. When America read the diaries and came to me with shock about what she had read and her surprise from seeing the computers, I realized just how much the people we being controlled. The books that weren't banned, which were very few, painted Gregory Illéa to be a saint when that was far from reality. I didn't think it was a bad thing for the government to control what the public knew about such affairs, but I did believe it was a bit excessive to ban more than half of the books that were available to the palace. Most were just children's books that had been over-dissected and believed to be propaganda. Even though there were old authors that promoted a government overthrow or not following the law like that horrible J.K Rowling or Dr. Seuss, I thought many were fine.

I entered the conference room and it was silent...and empty. I set my things down on the large table and sat down cautiously as if someone or something were going to jump out at me. My father wasn't here. Moments later, the advisors, generals and a few butlers entered as well. I nodded my head to them as they all gathered around the large table. I frowned, concerned for my father's whereabouts. Everyone had sat down and it was already time to start the meeting. I frowned and cleared my throat.

"Thank you all for joining us-- me. My father will be here momentarily so while we wait let's go over the budget for the guards for this month. We also need to touch on what is going on with the ones stationed at the Ladies' homes who keep disappearing. We can't keep sending more out otherwise we'll be stretched to the limit." There were several nods of agreement. "New Asia needs to be--" I was interrupted by the door being thrown open with my father on the other end. It took no more than a split second for me to notice exactly what was wrong with him and probably why he was so late. I jumped up from my seat before everyone had turned around and excused myself before rushing toward my father and urging him out. Now that I was closer I could smell the alcohol on him. He didn't say anything as I rushed him to the Royal Majesties' chambers, practically throwing him in. My mother was at her desk reading when we entered. She stood abruptly and frowned at me, concern wracked across her face.

"He showed up to the meeting like this," I said to her, jutting my chin out at my fathers limp and tipsy body in the chair. I had seen this look countless times from when I was younger. If I had done anything wrong within a week of him drinking like this, he would use it as an excuse to teach me a lesson. As a child, it hurt more when he was drunk because he was unfocused. He would lose count of his strokes or miss and get frustrated. I had learned to recognize this face immediately. I wasn't angry or resentful toward him a this moment, though. I was worried.

/////////

Sorry this chapter is so late. The next few chapters are going to be exciting to write. Have a good weekend! xx