Chapter 4

I raised my brow at the guard. "Is there a reason you allowed them into the palace?" I asked firmly. It must have been something dangerous if they requested my presence rather than my father.

"They refuse to speak to us. They requested your presence and then stopped talking. We searched them twice and they're unarmed," said the Officer. I looked back over to them, noticing their clothes. The man looked older than me but not by a lot. He was wearing a patchy shirt underneath an over worn leather jacket paired with big, dirty jeans and muddy black boots. The woman, who looked close in age, was wearing leggings and a skirt made from the same denim as the man's trousers. She wore a denim jacket covered in what looked like embroidered stars, a sign that the northern rebels used to acknowledge each other. I was trying to figure out where else I had seen that recently, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Sir, should we tell them to leave?" asked Juka. I held up my hand.

"No, there won't be any need for that." I approached them.

"Your Majesty," said the man in a deep voice as he dipped into a bow. The woman didn't say anything, but she curtsied.

"What are you doing here?" I asked sternly.

"We would like to have the honor of speaking with you...and with Lady America Singer," he replied. His response threw me off for a moment, almost making me forget my formalities.

"And what exactly would you like to speak to us about?" They looked at one another and surveyed the array of guards surrounding them.

"We would prefer to wait until the Lady arrives." I beckoned a guard closest to the door and told him to send for America. I left the Great Room to speak to the guards outside.

"Don't mention any of this to my father just yet. If they had the gall to come directly to the palace then I'd like to hear what they have to say. That being said, I'd like a few of you to stand guard outside this room until we are finished, understand?"

"Yes, sir." Moments later, America came running down the stairs. I furrowed my brows in the confusion.

"Are they alright?" she practically sobbed. "How bad is it?" She barreled into my arms, catching me off guard.

"What?" I asked pulling her in for an unexpected hug.

"My family, my parents and siblings. Are they okay?" she whimpered. Realisation slapped me across the face. I pulled here away to look her in the eyes.

"They're okay, America," I said. "I'm sorry, I should have realised that's what you would have thought of first." She let out a breath.

"There are rebels in the palace," I said finally remembering why she was down here.

"What!" she shrieked. "Why aren't we hiding?"

"They...they aren't here to attack. They're rebel leaders from the northern camp." She looked at me with confusion. "They're unarmed, but they have specifically asked to speak with me...and you."

"Why me?" she asked.

"I don't know, but I'm going to talk to them. I wanted to give you the chance to as well." She suddenly looked nervous, running her fingers through her now straightened hair.

"Maxon I'm in my nightgown," she said, embarrassed. I laughed in spite of myself.

"I know, but it's fine. This is all very informal." She seemed to weigh her options.

"Okay."

"You won't get hurt, I promise," I said grasping her hand in mine. Even though the past two days had been quite bumpy for us, I still cared about her and wanted to make sure she felt safe. We walked into the Great Room.

"Keep your holster unlocked, just in case," I whispered to a nearby guard. He nodded as we proceeded.

"Could you call off your dogs," said the man. At the same time, the woman curtsied again. America gasped in shock. I immediately turned to her.

"What's wrong?"

"Later," she whispered.

"We've come in peace," the man began. "Your men have searched us, so you know we're unarmed, but what we have to say really should not include in ear of others."

"What about America?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

"We want to speak with her as well."

"To what end?" I challenged.

"Again, we need to be out of earshot from these guys," he said cocking his head in the direction of the armed men. I had a cheeky grin on his face that I really did not appreciate.

"If you think for a second that you can harm her--" I threatened.

"Relax," he said putting his hands up. "You have good reason to be skeptical, but may I remind you that we have never killed any of your guards and avoid injuring them." We have no reason to hurt either of you, we just want to talk. I gave him a wary eye. I ordered the guards to pull out a table and chairs for us as we all stood in awkward silence for a few minutes, the occasional squeak of a chair being the only sound. Once they had finished, I asked that they stay back to give us some room.

"Well don't you think introductions are in order?" said the man cockily as we sat. I sat up straighter.

"Prince Maxon Schreave, your sovereign," I said. "And you are?"

"Mr. August Illéa, at your service." My jaw fell.