𝔄𝔠𝔱 4

Back in the candlelit building, Asira stood half listening to the conversation before her. Albedo and the Medical Corps Captain, Lainao, were discussing the potential use of genetically altered Wooperflowers to defend the city gates... or something along those lines. Asira got lost while the two Captains progressed into the details of the Flora genome.

And besides, the image of the inky feathered mask appeared every time she blinked, not to mention words of the Fatui and The Puppet.

"Excellent! According to Sucrose's observations, the manifestation of the flower's external elemental flow is as expected, all elemental reactions are normal however amplified. In addition, when we get further into the phylogenetic relationships we can uncover all the discrepancies between the subjects."

Albedo nodded enthusiastically. "How fascinating, I'm sure my team and I can lend a hand with dissections and readings at least. I'm sure the anatomy will prove an interesting find to some medication and perhaps sedatives. Asira, what do you think of the idea?" The blonde Captain turned, eyebrow raised as he stepped closer.

"Asira?"

"I apologize but I have to go. I have to see someone. I promise we can continue at another time." 

Before Asira even had a chance to think her legs already began to move on their own, carrying out of the Headquarters and dashing into the city. The two Captains were left dumbfounded, however Asira knew they wouldn't dwell on it for long, their conversation quickly reeling back to alchemy and medicine alike.

Her swords clinked against the metal lining her coat, their weight a comforting normality as she traced an all-too-familiar path in the darkened city. She slipped into an alleyway, squeezing through two buildings before catching sight of the candle lit entrance of the tavern.

Angel's Share.

Asira hesitated, semi-gloved hand hovering over the door handle before pulling back. He won't be open yet. She glanced up, noticing the amber light that filtered through the dim windows, signaling that a certain bartender may still be inside. The backdoor.

Picking up the pace, Asira made her way to the back alley, having to squint to make out the light deprived staircase leading up to the tavern's balcony and backdoor. She felt the ghost of a smile grace her lips as she remembered the nights of her and Kaeya slipping in, much to Diluc's frustration, nights filled with lighter memories: from the first time she tasted Barbados' famous wine, to when the Cavalry Captain and her had a chugging contest with Death After Noon, to the time Diluc treated her to red wine atop her roof under the stars. But the world has gotten much more gruesome and unforeseeable. The Fatui have gotten more unpredictable.

Now was not the time to reminisce about the past.

Silently closing the terrace door behind her, Asira was about to make her way down the tavern stairs when the front door swung open. Out of instinct she crouched, eyes widening before she narrowed in confusion. The man who entered, clad in a white fur coat exposing jacket and navy uniform to match was no difficulty to identify, and yet Asira couldn't help but stay silent as he took a seat before the still-hidden bartender.

"One Death After Noon please."

Asira heard the hesitant shuffling of boots, a glass sliding across the bar and into view as the turquoise haired Captain downed a gulp.

"So, I trust you heard everything?" Kaeya smirked, lazily cocking his eyebrow as he swirled the drink in his palm. Asira couldn't see who he was talking to, the beams of the railing blocking the counter from sight, vantage point rendering all her attempts in vain. However as soon as she heard them respond the answer clicked without a shadow of doubt.