ℑf 𝔒nly

WARNING: this chapter contains mature scenes, if you are not comfortable please do not read.

it is not my job to handle you, make your own decisions and enjoy the show.

┏━━༻✦༺━━┓

The sun has already finished its decent into the ocean's horizon, swallowed up by the darkening waves by the time Asira makes her way back to the Knight's embassy. Her mind is still abuzz with everything from today, mind flashing from Diluc and Kaeya to all the things Zhongli both told and refused to tell her. She was so lost in thought that she failed to notice the Pyro wielder until he had practically walked up next to her, tapping her shoulder.

She jumps at the contact.

"My apologies," Diluc winced, "it was not my intension to startle you. I actually wanted to discuss what happened earlier." He cleared his throat, shifting under her gaze, and Asira returned the awkward sentiment. As much as she wished to fix things with both brothers as soon as possible, she hardly had the energy to even know where to begin.

"There is no need I—"

"No. I did something inexcusable earlier, the way I acted, and I ah," Diluc sighs sharply, almost frustrated in his words, or rather, the lack of them. He instead opts to offer his hand, awaiting her answer as he tries again. "I know I cannot take back my actions, but I hope you can forgive me. If you so choose then allow me offer you a more formal apology?"

Asira blinks, and Diluc takes her hesitation as rejection. "Sorry, I know this is hardly enough to make up for earlier."

"No, no!" she cuts in, placing her hand in his own before the man can back any father away, "I understand. This is a stressful time for all of us, and I too acted out of line today so I own you an apology as well. Besides, is it not a friend's responsibility to forgive?" Diluc finally cracks a sliver of a smile.

"I am glad to hear it."

"But I will say, a glass of Angel's Share finest wine would certainly help the forgiving process."

It takes the man a moment but he laughs at her jest, guiding her forward as they make their way up to his room. "Well then, who am I to refuse? It has been a while since I've played, care for a round of chess along with that drink?"

Asira's smile is answer enough for the both of them.

It doesn't take the two long to get situated in Diluc's room, and she gives the man space to change into more suiting evening garments while she prepares the chess board in the living room. Asira took the seat facing the furnace, the white set of chess pieces lined along her end of the board. She knows Diluc always plays as black. Why, though, she never could quite grasp. White had an inherent advantage as they moved first, but the young master insists on playing the latter.

The warmth of the flames lick at her cheeks, rosy hue now dancing about the room as the fire crackles, and she finds the leather chair warm against the bare skin of her legs, welcoming her as she settles down. The pieces before her flicker in tandem to the light, wavering as she hears Diluc exit the kitchen area, placing two glasses atop the table before the slow swish of liquid fills the silence.

"Thank you," Asira says.

Lifting the glass, the ruby liquid swirls as it meets her awaiting lips, heavy aroma of allspice and something vaguely citrus mixing against the smoky background of pine. It tastes just as rich too. Smooth, delicate, but heavy as it slips past her tongue, Diluc's gaze never leaving hers until the glass is placed back down with a silent clink.