𝔄𝔠𝔱 7

Asira had been escorted home by the unlikely duo themselves, Diluc and Kaeya, dreadfully late into the night. The Cavalry Captain continued to sing festival tunes as they walked, his unbounded laughter and dancing looping Asira in circles as they stopped more than frequently to entertain the drunk man. However, while Diluc would typically scoff and move ahead, he stayed throughout Kaeya's antics. Never joining in and yet never leaving. Just watching the two fool around with something akin to fondness among the flames of his eyes.

The three reached the embassy only a few sparing hours before daybreak, the blanket of stars twinkling above them, threatening to blind even the glow of lanterns. And yet she swore their light could never compare to the glow she felt looking upon the small smile gracing Diluc's lips.

She didn't know what happened between the two since the last time she's spoken to them, but not a word of argument had been exchanged tonight. Yes, it was obvious they were still actively avoiding the other, however that unspoken animosity had all but disappeared. Perhaps it was finally a turn for the better? Maybe, one day, they'll repair the relationship Asira's only heard through handmaiden rumors, the drunken ramblings of Kaeya's loose lips, and Diluc's late night mumbling.

Her heart tightened at that thought. Yes, they deserved that much, at least. So, Archons, if you indeed do listen to our mortal sufferings, listen to this one and allow the two most important people in my life to become family once more.

That is all I wish for.

And Asira knew she should be thinking about her mission, she should be thinking about how the chains against her heart are weakening, about everything and anything that could go wrong in three days time. But instead she allowed the warmth to overtake her, and huddled back into the comforting thought of the brothers. Of all she owed them.

Diluc would always hold a piece of her heart and a fraction of her soul. After all, he was her savior. That day back in StormTerror's Lair, he did more than provide that broken girl another chance at life. He offered her a glimpse at the fantasy of human kindness, at the illusion of family, at that horrid poison she was force fed and labeled as love.

He made those twisted fairytales a beautiful reality.

And Asira would forever be indebted to him for that.

But as she grew to realize the cruelties of her past reality in Snezhnaya, and as they were rewritten with her time from a Knight to a Captain, she too grew to realize the difference of infatuation and gratitude. She loved Diluc for all he stood for, she loved him for the hope he allowed her to rekindle, and she loved him for being the warmth she never realized she needed. But none of that was the love she once thought it to be.

As for his insufferable brother, well, Asira didn't quite know what she thought of him. A sparring partner, a flirtatious drunk, a prince of a forgotten nation concealing just as many secrets as she? An absolute menace?

Asira finished buttoning up her nighttime blouse at the same time a heavy sigh escaped. "Just who are you, Kaeya Alberich. And who are you to me..." She was turning around, just about ready to retire to bed and let these troubling thoughts about the Cavalry Captain be put to rest when a voice came from her window.

"My Lady."

One second the messenger had their hand on the open windowsill, and the next it was pinned to the wall, struck through bone with her lighting blade. A scream threatened to squeak past their lips, but the Fatui train better than that, and the messenger swallowed their fear with a tremor.

Asira recalled the blade, silver eyes pulsing with electricity. "Speak."

They obeyed.

"My Lady," a shaky wheeze, "Columbina, I was requested to summon you immediately. Lord Tartaglia's orders." The messenger cradles their bleeding hand, and winces as Asira eyes the blood that dripped onto her floor. They feared for their life. Good.