part twenty two

Lydia Styles

"Dumb fuckin..." I hear Harry start cursing to my left as he tries to tie the end of a balloon.

"Harry the kids are right there." I scold him for swearing, pointing at Daisy and Elijah on the carpet. They were 'playing' with building blocks as Harry and I decorate for Niall's party.

"They don't even know what 'fuck' means." he murmurs, handing me the blue balloon for me to hang up.

"Harry!" I swat him on the shoulder after he curses again.

We were babysitting. Louis took Niall out, telling him he needed help picking up some things. It was just a way to get him out of the house for a couple hours so we could set up for this surprise party. Eliza's home with us, but she can't do much with her broken rib.

So, while she rests, Harry and I are watching the kids and decorating.

Niall turned 28 today, and we all have avoided wishing him a happy birthday until he gets back home.

I don't think Niall has ever really had a proper birthday celebration, so we'll give him one today.

Behind me I hear Daisy's ear piercing cry, making Harry and I both frantically turn to look at the kids.

Elijah had knocked her block tower down.

"Oh, baby." Harry says quietly as he rushes over to them, picking Daisy up in his arms. Elijah sits and keeps on throwing blocks around.

Harry brings Daisy over to the kitchen counter and sits her on her bum, standing right in front of her with his arms on the sides of her body so she doesn't fall.

He reaches behind her and grabs an apple from the fruit basket, wiping her tears with his thumb. "Here, play with this." he says, handing her the big red apple for her to hold and examine in her small hands.

I hang up the last balloon, stepping down from the step stool I was standing on and admiring my work.

"Do you think Niall will like it?" I ask with my hands on my hips, my back towards Harry.

"Niall only cares about the drinks and the food that'll be served." he chuckles.

"Good point."

I sigh and turn to walk over next to Harry and Daisy. I stand next to him and watch Daisy roll the apple around on the counter.

"So, how are you feeling about everything?" I ask.

He takes an inhale through his nose and keeps his eyes forward.

"I'm stressed." he says honestly, taking his hand and brushing Daisy's hair out of her forehead. "But, I think Louis is working on some things, and like you said...it's not my responsibility." he explains, turning his head toward me. "I'm just trying to take it day by day for now."

I nod, understanding where he was coming from.

"Just remember that you can talk to me if you feel bad, okay." I tell him.

He presses his lips into a line and nods, bringing his lips to the top of my head to kiss it quickly.

"I have another appointment with Dr. Richardson next week, and those seem to be helping." he says.

"Good. I knew they would."

Down the hall I hear footsteps, causing me to turn my head and catch the sight of Eliza walking towards us. She was in her pyjamas still and her hair was up in a bun with loose baby hairs flying all over the place.