part forty nine

Harry Styles

I awoke to the sound of faint beeping machines. It was repetitive and familiar. My nose fills with sterile scents—cleanliness that could only be directed back to one place.

My eyes open up to white lights and cream coloured walls and ceilings. My ears perceive the muffled sound of work and quiet voices outside this room.

Through the curtains of the window, dawn peeks through the drapes. Night is turning into early morning.

I'm in the hospital.

There's a hand gripped in mine, holding all of my fingers delicately. It's a calming touch, a tender one. I barely turn my head, looking down at the manicured french tip nails that held my fingers.

My eyes travel up the person's arm, and I see their full figure sitting in a chair next to my hospital bed, eyes down looking at a book.

Jane.

Lydia's mother sat next to me, holding my hand as I awoke in this hospital bed.

My mind is very cloudy.

I take a moment to examine myself, looking down at the length of my body laid flat on the bed. I'm shirtless, a white bandage taped over my side. It's sore, like it's been stitched up.

I was stabbed.

Memories come flooding back, and I slowly remember how I got here. I killed Xavier and we hurried to the hospital. I think I must have collapsed on the way, because I have no recollection of entering this building.

Lydia.

My main worry was getting her here because she was hurting. I was terrified of her having another miscarriage and now I have no idea what's happened. She's not in this room, yet her mother is sitting with me...did something go wrong?

I turn my head toward Jane again, looking at her in the chair as she reads. Through my cracked lips and dry throat, I attempt to speak.

"J-Jane." I say her name, making her peek up from her book. Her eyes set on me once she realizes I'm conscious again, placing her book on the little table next to my bed.

"Hi, sweetheart." she mumbles quietly, her voice a mere whisper.

"What happened? Where is everyone?"

She rubs her thumb along my knuckles. "You lost a lot of blood. They got a donor, though, and managed to stitch you up without even getting you into surgery. You're very lucky."

I furrow my brows, "A donor? Who?"

She gives me a small smile, rubbing my hand.

It was then that I noticed the bandage on her arm, located in the crevice of her elbow. Her silence confirmed my thoughts and all I could do was look up at her in shock.

"You gave me some of your blood?" I question.

"Turns out I'm a universal donor." she chuckles a bit, a gentle smile on her face.

I shake my head slightly. "You didn't have to do that."

I know that her blood was probably among a few other donors, but nonetheless, it was a gesture I couldn't thank her enough for. If I was conscious at the time, I would've told her not to do it.

"You saved Corey's life, and Lydia's. It's quite literally the least I could do in return." she says humbly.

When she mentions me saving Lydia, my brows raise a bit as I raise my head off of the pillow slightly.