part twenty three

Lydia Styles

April 28th

When my eyes opened I felt Harry's body heat against mine. His arm was draped over my hip, not holding me as tight as he was when we fell asleep. I could feel his chest moving against my back, rising and falling slowly as he slept.

I reach up to the counter and grab my phone. I expected it to be morning, but it was only 3 am. After being awake for a couple moments, I realized I had to pee and I could also use a glass of water.

I slowly get up, feeling Harry's arm fall off my body. I grab my phone and quickly flick on the lamp next to the bed just in case Harry woke up while I was gone.

I quietly leave our bedroom and head for the bathroom first, using my phone flashlight to help me see in the dark. Everyone was asleep, every bedroom door shut.

I get to the bathroom and use it, realizing how tired I was once I wasn't moving. I'm glad it's still the middle of the night, so I can just go back to sleep after this.

I finish up in the bathroom and flick the light off. Before heading to the stairs, I stop by Daisy's room. I slowly creek the door open, seeing Daisy sound asleep in her crib and Elijah in his smaller mobile one that Eliza brought from her apartment.

They're both sound asleep.

I smile softly as I shut the door again, then walk to the stairs and into the kitchen. My mouth was dry and I needed some water desperately. I go to the cupboard and grab a glass, just using the tap water to fill it up.

I take a sip, letting the cool liquid hit my tongue and run down my throat. It felt good. I lean against the counter for a bit as I drink until I was ready to go back to bed.

I quickly rinse the glass and turn to leave the kitchen,

but then I heard something.

A loud bark came from outside, which made me stop in my tracks immediately.

I stay silent, trying to figure out if what I heard was real. I swear it was a bark that came from a dog, but we're in a cabin in the woods...there's no dogs out here.

I slowly step up to the glass sliding door, moving the curtain aside and cupping my hands around my eyes to focus in on the outside.

All I saw was darkness.

It made me nervous. If there was a dog out here than it means it was either a runaway or it did belong to someone...and that someone was watching our house.

I close the curtains, unable to see anything and praying that I was just hearing things. I double check the locks on all of the doors before going back upstairs.

When I got back in our bedroom, Harry was turned around on the bed so his back was toward me. He was still asleep, breathing softly.

I climb into the bed next to him, turning off the lamp and facing his back.

I just look at him, looking at his ear that was slightly covered by some curls. His hair is getting long. I looked at his jaw bone that was soft and relaxed because he was asleep. I looked at his neck and his back and his spine.

I've always said that every inch of his body was carefully crafted and carved by angels. He was so beautiful and I know he didn't think that, but I did.

I take the time to just watch him breathing in and out, watching his back rising as he lays on his side. I bring my finger up to his arm that was resting on his own hip.