25. The Birthday boy...

Just then the car came to a stop and driver announced, "We have arrived, Mr King."

Lilly felt his posture stiffen again while his hold on her hand tightened. She looked at him trying not to look worried. He gave a small smile which she realised was to put her at ease but still, it turned out to be stoic.

"Come on, let's go," said Ashton.

As Lilly got out of the car Ashton was already by her side. Holding Sam on one arm he put the other around Lilly's waist pulling her closer to him. The trio looked like one perfect family as they headed towards the entrance.

Lilly rang the bell and within a minute the door opened and they found Elsie standing in front as she beamed at the toddler. Delighted she stretched her arms towards the little boy hoping for him to jump in her embrace but the toddler refused her advances. Turning his back towards her he hugged Ashton.  Tightly wounding his small chubby arms around his neck as he buried his face in Ashton's chest.

Ashton felt proud and happy that the little boy somehow for some reason chose him. The toddler found his safe place in Ashton just the way he had found his second chance to mend his mistakes in Sam. His second chance to live that came in form of Lilly and Sam. They were his safe zone, his heaven where he didn't need to pretend anything in front of them.

'But you still hide your secrets. Those deep and dark ones.' a voice call from inside. Clenching his teeth he tried to control those thoughts. He was determined to not let them get over him and what he was.

Lilly noticed the look of hurt in Elsie's eyes at Sam's rejection and felt the need to soothe it.
"I am sorry but please don't feel bad. It's just that Sam is not very good with strangers. Once he becomes acquainted with you he will like your company."

"I see." Elsie gave a small smile as her eyes still rested on toddler's back.
"Arthur." She called behind her. "Look honey, who is here."

An old man in his sixties appeared beside Elsie. He looked like an older version of Ashton but his eyes colour was different, Lilly noted.

"This is my husband Arthur," said Elsie introducing the old man to Lilly. She looked at Sam who still had his face buried in Ashton's chest.

"Sam," Lilly called to the toddler and he peeked just a little at his mother.
"Say hello."
The boy turned a little to look at the old couple but then turned his back again.

"Samuel." The old man called his name and Lilly saw something flicker in those expressionless eyes.

"Isn't he adorable?" Elsie smiled at her husband.

"Hmm. Don't keep them waiting at the door."

"Oh yes, come on in."

The trio headed to the living room following the old couple.

"Take a seat Lilly and feel comfortable. I will tell the maids to serve the dinner but before that let the birthday boy cut the cake." Elsie announced happily.

A maid brought a cartoon cake while the other maid placed some toys on the table. Sam peeked a little from Ashton's shoulder before turning around completely as the table covered with toys and the cartoon cake in the centre caught his attention.

"Did you like it, Sam?" Elsie asked and this time Sam didn't hide at the sound of her voice.

Maybe Elsie's idea of attracting the boy's attention with toys and a cartoon cake worked, Lilly acknowledged as Sam stretched his hand towards the table itching to touch the sparkly things.

Elsie smiled at the child as she gave Lilly a cake knife to help Sam cut the cake.

"Take him." Ashton handed Sam to Lilly and moved a step back. She frowned at this gesture. He looked so far apart even though he was standing within a metre's distance. Something about him had changed, Lilly noticed.