Clair De Lune

Aramour

TW: mentions of death

Her long and boney fingers grazed over the pieces of paper that held the notes of a famous piano piece called Clair De Lune written by Debussy. The woman frowned, her heart aching. This song was the song her dearest Catalina would play everyday, ever since they met 60 years ago.

Oh, she can still remember every feature of her beautiful wife. From her gorgeous brown eyes, brown eyes that reminded her of her favourite chocolate. And to her lovely skin, which was always so soft and smooth, always bringing warmth when in contact with Jane. And how lively and energetic her voice was, even as the days grew longer, and as they slowly began to age, her energy never left.

Even when she was confined in a hospital bed, the smile that always stayed on her face never wavered once. Even during the day of her passing, not once have she stopped smiling. And Jane would describe her Catalina as an angel, a soul so loving and kind towards others.

Even when the day came she was no longer strong enough to get out of bed and play the piano, her smile never once wavered, despite Jane knowing how upset the girl was. The woman then put the papers aside, knowing she would not need the musical sheets, for she had already memorised every note and every key perfectly.

Jane sat on the bench in front of the piano, being careful to not overexert her now fragile body. Now being in her early 80's, she could no longer do very much, with the help of her maid who she appreciated very much, she was able to spend the rest of her days relaxing, simply doing as she pleased. If she could, she would've loved to go out and travel once more as she did when she was much younger and more early in her youth.

If she could, she would've loved to see her friends.. Her best friends, rather. People she's known for decades, people she's known since they were very young and back in their days in high-school, people who she ended up being in a musical with, people who she loved seeing so very often.

Her best friends who had passed away due to old age, or were already on the brink of death. Including Catalina, who was suffering from a heart desease, which then slowly killed her as she lay on her hospital bed, holding Jane's hand, her smile didn't waver, despite the tears that were running down her face.

Jane then carefully placed her hand on the piano tiles, remembering distinctively how Catalina used to play this song so often, because of how much she admired it. That was just one of the thousands of reason to why she had fallen deeply in love with the girl all those years ago.

Then, so softly, Jane began to play Clair De Lune, hitting the first few notes perfectly, and as soon as the soothing music had reached her ears, tears had welled up in her blue eyes, oh how she missed hearing the soft sounds of the piano wake her up every morning, and how she'd be greeted by her wife who played it as much as she could.

Her hands glided along the piano perfectly, not faltering once as she continued her way through the song. Despite her age, she could still remember clearly the smiles of her wife, and how happy she'd get whenever Jane was able to learn the next few notes of the song she adored so much. It always made Jane's stomach flip, and even the smallest things just reminded Jane how dearly she cares for her wife.

There were times where she reminisced her youthful days, when she would dance around so much on the stage, when she'd sing so passionately, when she'd rehearse so intensely, when she'd run around, and when she'd do so much more, things she would've loved to do now.