29

"I'm not ready."

Gavrial patted my white silk-gloved hand circling his arm. "You'll be fine."

"That is not my concern."

The men noticed our approach and parted so the captain could give his respectful greetings to The Prince. The man turned with a lazy yet friendly smile. It was no wonder the women were fighting for a chance to gawk at him, tall and handsome as he was. He was older than I had imagined in the fantasy world of my mind. Seasoned well from countless battles of timelessly old wars. He was a strikingly fetching warrior. At his age, it was hard to believe he was still searching for a wife. Curious if his single status had any correlation to his father still sitting upon the throne when he was more than fit to rule this kingdom. He was at the prime of his life to bring this monarchy to prosperity.

Yet I found myself thankful he was not. For that prosperity would come at the cost of my people. He was a famed witch hunter. His anti-witch garrison was known for violently hunting and stringing up accused witches without a trial. I could only assume that with him on the throne his pursuit would become more frequent and renowned. The supporters would grow less fearless of their actions.

"Captain Hallstead," The Prince greeted.

Gavrial and I both bowed deeply at the same time.

"Prince Carver," my lover kindly and calmly returned.

"It has been more than a year since we saw each other last. Was your stay in the country pleasant? Catch lots of witches?" he jested.

"I wish I could say so, but no I didn't get the chance." He smoothly lied nudging me a step forward so I would catch the attention of The Prince which was short-lived. We should have chosen different features for our appearance potions. "I was attending matters of the family sort. This is my distant cousin Sable. Both her parents have died in a terrible accident leaving me her guardian and owner of all her lands. I brought her to court with me to find a husband to take over her properties. She was quite eager to see the hunt. Wants to pick out suitors she favors for consideration."

The men chuckled seeming to appreciate the fabricated story her partner in crime was feeding them. Some even showing hints of interest. "Well Lady Sable, I hope the hunt is everything you envisioned it would be," The Prince said quickly dismissing me and stealing away my companion for a private discussion.

Gavrial pointed me to the ladies of the court trying to occupy me in the meantime. Like an obedient courtly woman, I quietly made my way to the refreshment table avoiding them. I was working on downing my second glass of champagne when a man from The Prince's cadre tried to subtly approach me.

He raised his glass to me as a way of introduction.

"Lady Sable, Sir Donteiron." He handed me a new full glass. I nodded at him with salutation. "What a nice reprieve your company would be from the gossiping hordes of hens." Pointing toward the hedge maze deeper in the garden, "would you enjoy a stroll?"

"Sir," I paused not remembering his name already. Quickly I had to think if this was my best option here. I was trying to get closer to The Prince but he had cut me out swift and cold. Fleeting as if I were snow on a warm winter's day. Thinking maybe this was how I would get closer to Prince Carver. I would take what the cosmos was handing me.

"Donteiron." He nervously scratched his head looking around to see who might have overheard my blatant disregard.

I whipped out my fan with a clap and began fanning myself. "Please forgive me Sir Donteiron. I was not prepared for the heat," I leaned in closer so he would hear my whispers while looking side to side to check our privacy, "that came with all the layers of skirts needed at court." I gripped some of the heavy material and dropped it demonstrating its weight. His robust laugh echoed around us."I am more comfortable in the thin layered dresses I was allowed in the country." I winked at the knight then hid my blushing cheeks with my fan.

"Well, my Lady Sable," he held out an arm to lead me, "the maze has much shade."

I laughed and accepted his company allowing him to lead. From the outside, the labyrinth appeared tight and complex but inside it was a large open garden. Some of the rose bushes were large creating walls and elaborate pathways. We passed another couple and two men drinking in the secrets of the hedge for privacy. Their laughter and pleasant energies were infectious.

"Sable, if I may?"

"You may." I allowed.

"It would be an honor if you would call me Donte in private." He gave me a wicked smile.

"If it pleases you... Donte."

Lost in friendly conversation we seemed to have walked deep enough in that we were alone. The diameters would have me guessing we were far into the garden but it was only the center of the maze. A large stone gazebo was directly in the middle. The stone pillars were overgrown with vines forming the shapes of what my deteriorated mind thought looked like the faces of screaming women. My stomach began to roll as a strange feeling came over me as we got closer. I halted my steps masking my face, hearing Donte but no longer listening.

I began examining every aspect of him. He was a muscular man part of The Prince's group of warriors. His skills were probably impressive and unmatched. His posture exuded confidence yet ease as if he was relaxed. He features handsome. Jaw sharp, smile devilishly delicious, eyes dark brown and empty matching his equal dark hair that was long and thick held back by a leather.

Donte gently grabbed my hand and began leading me to the pagoda again gabbing away. If I resisted due to the sinking feeling in my gut that danger was near I would seem suspicious. I did not trust this man but what did trusting someone entail, where was the line drawn?

My foot landed on the first step filling with lead. The stone platform was anything but and I knew exactly what I was about to willing step on. A witch's circle. It was clear now he did not trust the distant cousin of Captian Gavrial Hallstead infamous witch hunter of the kingdom. Which meant he did not trust his companion in arms either.

As my other foot lifted and waited to fall into the circle I knew one thing.

The pleasant Sir Donteiron who I thought was my key to The Prince had to die now.