46

The carriage came to a rumbling halt tossing me from my seat into Tovias's lap. His reflexes were sure and faultless catching me by the arm steadying me. From one window to the other his eyes shifted. Checking our surroundings and searching for the location of our destination. Grabbing hold of my hand he dragged me from the carriage and into the busy city streets.

The area was as I had expected knowing it was on Harbor Street. The smell of the sea was mixed with the scent of fish and the sweat of flesh. The harbor was the largest in the kingdom. It consisted of eight docks each longer than several hundred feet with a carrack anchored at the ends. They were either ready to set sail, had just anchored to gather their shipments, or the sailors just needed to stretch their sea legs. Some ships even waited out at sea for docking placement.

Across from the harbor bustling with hundreds of working men was a line of businesses. A few street vendors were scattered about. Some places were either run down or just getting by with the skin of their teeth. The only business that looked like it was doing well was the whore house tucked in a corner. Gossamer curtains leisurely hung out windows limping in the wind. Women with loose morals sleepily chatted and smoked on the upper balcony trying to drag in the early stragglers by waving their sheer shawls about. A lesser evil allowed by the king.

My eyes searched for the tavern seeing how the door and windows had all been shattered. "The Tipsy Gull," I noted. "The name was catchy but we must shed the past ownership of it."

"Agreed, Mistress." I could already see the eyes of the townspeople lingering on us too long. "The carpenters have already been commissioned. Graftou's men will split in half. One group will finish renovating Atropa Hall and the rest shall be here. Once they are finished I promise you will not recognize even a plank of wood."

"The sign first, I want it torn down. Let's take a look inside, shall we?" Tovias carefully guided me threw the place that was much larger than I was expecting. Anything of worth had already been looted. The walls were covered with empty shapes, places were old items of decorations or paints used to hang. Nails had been brutally yanked from the walls as if the looters were in a rush. Shattered tables and wrecked chairs were scattered about. Broken glass littered the floor.

"This place surely took a hit." I examined the bar itself seeing the gauges on the wall and the sturdy wooden counter. Someone had even tried to steal that, underestimating the quality in which it was secured to the building. The wall behind that consisted of snapped shelving meant to hold large bottles of wines, liquors, and even placements for barrels of ale. The majority of which had been stolen.

A few rooms broke off from the main area. There was a large space that looked like it could be converted for entertainment. An office that had been entirely flipped into destruction. A few sleeping rooms and a john upstairs. The only good thing about this dump was the large kitchen behind the bar, raided but still intact otherwise.

"Offer all sailors half-price drinks and meals. Hire a chef, a bartender, and a few barmaids."

"Taken care of, Mistress." Halting my appraisal of the stoves I turned to look at him.

Tovias stood by the entrance beyond the swinging door. His arms were crossed and his leg was propped against the door jam. His attention was wholly focused on me. "Already?"

"Yes. With the commission of the carpenters, I also hired staff."

"Hmm." I was truly impressed by him. It was like he knew what I would do before I did it. Time and time again I had found myself wondering what changes I had brought upon him. Deep down I knew I had not just healed him. I had changed him entirely. No longer was he an average mortal doomed to die of plague. He was other. He was a warlock. He was a knight and a brilliant man.

The crunch of glass came from beneath his boot as he approached me. A devious smirk crossed his face as his arms wrapped around me pulling me against his chest. "Hmm, what?"

I looked him straight in his glinting honey eyes. "You- you are entirely unexpected but more welcome than any other to walk this world." His grin doubled as his arms grew tighter around my waist lifting me off my feet until his lips could reach mine.

The crunch of glass sounded from the front room as if someone had just entered the den. Tovias and I separated as he gave me a hard look while drawing his finger to his lips silencing me. With silent speed, he squatted before me reaching below my dress and up to my garter holding my dagger. Rising to his full height he turned to the door standing in front of me to block whoever the intruder was.

"Hello," a man called, sounding non-threatening from the bar area. "I'm looking for the Lady Sable. I saw her carriage outside and thought I might find her nearby." The man declared coming closer. And then the kitchen's doors swung open revealing a stranger cloaked in gray. The sight of Tovias with his guard up had the man raising his own hands in a show of peace. "I do not mean any harm, Sir. I come only with a message for our Queen."

"Who are you?" Tovias questioned not lowering his guard. Leaning to the side I peeked around him watching the man pull back his hood slowly with trembling hands. His face was full of fine edges but his eyes one blue, one silver were deeply haunted.

"I am the seer Belenos, from The Tower of Caelum. I lost someone very dear to me and was forced to kill several Beldam hags to escape and deliver this message."

I stepped to Tovias's side watching the man suspiciously. "How'd you find me here?"

"I am a seer?" He appeared insulted. I shrugged and held my hand out to Tovias. Instinctively he relinquished my dagger. Pressing the tip against one of my fingers I twisted the blade while contemplating my next move. The look on Belenos' face was exactly what I wanted shock.

"Why would I believe you? Might be a hunter." I sneered at him.

Instant repulsions settled on his face. My dagger left my hand piercing the bulk of his hood to the wall behind him. His reaction was immediate. Reaching for my blade, he struggled trying to free it from the wall. I rushed him halting his efforts. The cloak ripped as he yanked away. He scuttled back making for the exit, entirely missing Tovias circling around and subsequently blocking his path.

Hand over the handle of my blade I tugged easily releasing it. I charged after Belenos who was heading to the shattered window hoping to avoid Tovias. Jumping on his back he slammed into the floor with a heavy thwack knocking him out cold.