9

As the night passed I could not but toss and turn. I stared at my ceiling listening to the soft purrs of Stella hoping I'd fall asleep. When morning came I did as I was told dressing for travel. Strangely The Guard had not given up on me and was still searching. I did my best to change my appearance. A potion changed my hair to blond and another changed my eyes to brown. As a woman, it was improper to wear pants. Using a long hooded black cloak, I hid my tight soft black pants, shirt, and vest. Even though they were tailored to a woman's fit they were still considered the clothes of a man.

I made my way to the kitchen hearing the shatter of a glass as I entered. The witchman was bent over a broken breakfast plate picking up the pieces. I knelt in front of him to help but he stopped to stare at me. I cleared my throat gaining his attention.

"I almost thought some stranger had broken in. How did you change your eye color?" he asked going back to cleaning up the porcelain.

I could feel the beaming smile stretch my face. "I just tweaked to hair color potion a bit," I said nonchalantly as if it was no big deal.

"You have no idea what you've done. It was hard enough to get your hair back to its original black. I still don't even think we got even close. But now how the hell are we going to get your eye shade back? It was unique and distinct in color." He placed all the broken pieces on the counter before waving a hand over it and repairing the damage.

Pulling a vial from my pocket I showed him the color. "Is this color not the same?"

He looked at it doubtfully.

"Psst, psst, Stella." She came to my call. I reached down picked her up and held the vial next to her cat eyes. "I think it's identical."

"You are something else, Little Shadow."

"Are you impressed?" Eagerness slipped through my tone. I couldn't cast spells but I had become a potions master.

He scoffed. "Hardly."

"Our destination is far. You won't have time to eat breakfast. Take a couple of rolls and eat on the way."

I grabbed enough for him and me on our journey. I took a few other things I thought might be useful. Quickly I placed everything in a small satchel before throwing it over my shoulder not wanting to slow down the witchman for too long.

With Stella hot on my heels, we followed. I had underestimated what he meant by far. The journey was long, hot, and irritating. We walked the beach for hours. Stella was gracious enough to point out items I could use for spells and potions. Scales, bones, and shells, I had wrapped in a small cloth and tucked into my bag. When we reached the forest we avoided people and the main roads staying hidden from others.

We walked a few feet parallel to the road hidden by foliage, but still able to see any travelers passing by. We were forced to move farther into the wood when a regiment of soldiers appeared traveling in our direction. I held Stella close against my chest as we hid behind thick trees.

There must have been a couple of hundred men, all from the city I was born and raised. It was evident by their banner and uniform. I had no idea where we currently were in the kingdom so I couldn't tell if they were coming or going from the main city. Peeking around the tree I could see the tail end of the troop. Two large brown horses were pulling a paddy wagon. My gasp trapped in my throat.

As they drew closer I could hear the sobbing of a woman inside. She was not alone. A young man who looked about the same age as the girl stood near the back tugging and rattling the locked door of the cage with his shackled wrist. The young girl had visibly been through an ordeal. Her lips were swollen and bloody. The milky flesh over her bones was bruised an angry purple blistered and battered. The dress she wore tore in places that gave my mind horrible imagery.

He screamed at the soldiers guarding the tail, the last three of the regiment, "When I get out of here, I will torture you in ways that are going to make you wish I was a Witch."

Some who overheard outright laughed at him.

I could see the girl tugging at the boy's clothes trying to make him stop.

"Shut up, Sorcerers," a rearguard ordered. "Before we tie you to a tree and burn you along the roadside for all to see your charred rotting corpse."

"Maybe we'll take your little sister out and let the men have another round of fun with her before we burn you both," another said. "Bet she was untouched."

I could see the brother shake with rage but he remained silent.

Turning to my very own witchman and I 'psst' grabbing his attention. 'We should help,' I mouthed.

He shook his head while signing to me the numbers were too great.

I signed back to wait till night when they rest.

'They may reach their destination before,' he mouthed.

'We must help," I mouthed not hiding my anger. 'Slow them down. Something.'

He shook his head 'No!' again.

The back of the group was moving past us and I could do nothing but watch in silence. A tear rolled down my cheek knowing what their fate would be. I stood determined to do something, anything. I stepped from behind my hiding spot. A branch cracked beneath the weight of my boot. The witchman moved so fast it shocked me. He crushed my body up against the tree one hand pressed against my mouth to silence me as the other rested against the bark, his arms and knees became a cage.

He shook his head at me in disappointment before peering around the tree to see if we had drawn any attention to us. My head fell with failure as I tried to calm the frightened Stella being squished between us. It had been some time until the sounds of the regiment had faded and I was freed.

"How could you," I almost screamed. Stella jumped from my arms knowing the danger was gone and she was safe to roam.

"How could you? We would have both died. Your life is more important than theirs. You must pick and choose your battles, so one day there will no longer be a battle for our kind to fight." He grabbed my face between his large hands forcing me to look him in the eye. "You are not yet ready. One day you will be and nothing will stand in your way. Trust me when I tell you, I have seen the future. You move now and you will be right next to that girl in the same cell. What will you do when they decide to let anyone in to have their way with you? Will you hold her hand and tell her it will be 'fine' when they rape you side by side?"

Deciding to ignore him I forced my way out of his grip and headed away from the soldiers, sulking over my complete uselessness.