10

We neared a small village I could not recognize, simply because I had never traveled outside the main city's borders. We completely avoided it. The smell of charred human flesh made me gag. The majority of the town had vanished, hiding from whatever torment they just endured under the barrage of soldiers' boots. Even at the distance, we hid, viewing the silhouettes of the dead hung at the entrance of the village. If that wasn't warning enough for all witches- across from the hangman's noose stood the ruins of a pyre already used to extinguish the life or lives of the accused.

Ash and smoke were all that remained.

Staying far from the village we continued to move concealed within the forest. Beyond the town was a mass of mountains covered in wood. I followed mutely, a bit impatiently. When I felt safer I started to collect valuable herbs I found by chance, careful not to fall behind. Stella chased moths and other small furry critters getting her fun out of toying with weaker lives. She reminded me of our King. He was a gluttonous cat and we were all his trapped little mice.

Hiking up the highlands I couldn't imagine braving the trek in a dress. I would have ripped it to shreds by now. It became strenuous trying to keep my mind off the siblings taken by the soldiers. Only to think about the village and my heart crumbled a little inside. I kicked out my foot in frustration becoming tangled in some brambles and falling on my rear. I yelped out in pain feeling the twist of my ankle.

The witchman turned back seeing my distress and returned for me. He kneeled helping me untangle myself from the netted vines. "Your energy is inflamed with fury."

"Of course it is. I'm fucking pissed," I scream kicking my legs free. I know I probably looked like a toddler throwing a tantrum but I couldn't help it and nor did I care. My hands flexed into fists and opened back again trying to release my pent-up rage.

I caught the witchman's look of surprise. "I have never seen you like this before. It makes me feel odd. Like I should punish you like the child you are behaving as or should I-"

My gasp cut him off. He gave me a wicked grin before I started swinging at him. It was more of a half swat- half scratch but he deserves every bit of it. My hands slowed as I realized he was not defending himself or blocking my attack. "Fight back, do something," I screamed going to swing again, testing him.

His hands captured my wrist pulling me into his chest- catching me as I fell forward. "I will not stop you. I deserve every strike you descend upon me, for I was not powerful enough to allow you to save them. Nor was I strong enough to stand and fight more than two hundred soldiers." I stared up at him shocked by his words. "I promise one day I will help you end all of this. I have seen it; Fate."

"Why would they take them and burn the others? It bothers me to no end." I almost break down, starting to cry.

"They burned the others as a message. Why they decided to take them is for no better reasons."

I grab his collar forcing him to look at me. "I need to know," I demanded.

He shakes his head as he knows he's about to regret the words that will come from his lips. "To display their punishment in the main city."

My hand covers my gasp. A smothered 'no' tries to escape. I remove my hand like lightning, "We could have tried," I yell.

"And we would have died. Then there is no future for any Witches. We will all die out someday and eventually become a distant tale of the past." He tries to reason with me but his exasperation leaks through. "Is that what you want?"

"No." I almost stutter but remain strong keeping the look on my face fierce. I yank myself free from his grasp and move past him disheartened. I call to Stella to let her know we were moving again.

As time passed and night encroached upon us, I continued to sulk. The forest began to clear as we approached a gorge between two high mountains. The sounds of chopping wood flowed through the trees. A tingling sensation crept over my skin as we grew closer. It was the feel of magic, we had reached our destination.

A small cabin stood at the entrance of the mountains' chasm. Far and separated from the rest of the world. The sight was serene and peaceful. A broad muscular shirtless man was on the far side watching the final moments of the sun setting between the two peaks as he chopped wood into smaller logs. I caught myself admiring his shiny physique and quickly downcast my eyes.

He turned to us becoming aware of people approaching. His sights landed on the witchman and a smile graced his handsome face. I had to turn away again as I found myself looking at him in a way I had never looked at another man. I had admired the witchman at times noticing how unearthly handsome he was but living with him for over a year I had grown accustomed to his odd beauty- immune.

"Gavrial, I have been expecting you," the woodcutter announced going for a hug from his companion. I looked at Gavrial with a snicker. Now that I knew his name I think I might torture him a bit more with witchman.

My snicker caught the woodcutter's eye halting his movement before he could reach the witchman. His smile grew in size stopping me in my tracks as I tried to return a look of indifference. "You are not what I expected." He snapped his fingers in my face startling me before going back to manly hug the witchman.

I gasped feeling the tingle of magic. I could hear the exchange of greetings but my mind was wholly focused on the fact that this man just changed me back to my original state with the snap of his finger. My hair had returned to its bluish-black color and if I could see my reflection I bet my eyes were lavender once more. He turned back to me finishing with the witchman and taking in my stunned appearance.

"That's much better. Now you truly look like the Witch Queen I have envisioned countless times." He kneeled before me holding out his hand. I wasn't sure what to do with it so I shook it like an idiot. He smiled up at me like it was acceptable though. "My name is Arbor and I have waited many moons for you to travel into my mountains, Princess Sable."

"You've waited for m-me?" I couldn't help but stammer.

"Every witch in the world is waiting for you." I could feel the worry settle over me and I looked at my witchman.

"The majority of witches have envisioned your rise to power," he said with an 'I told you so' look.

"It was also prophecized by the Beldams."

"I can't cast a single spell. How am I supposed to save the witches of the world if I can hardly protect myself?" I shook my head in disbelief, "Dare I ask what are the beldams?"