31

"How are we going to get rid of a body, here in the middle of the King's garden, during a social event? Did I say social event? I meant a hunting party. Let us not forget the participants are warriors who hunt witches for fun and sport."

Gavrial gave me a wicked grin and kissed me chastely.

"And... we are witches?"

"Are we?" His eyebrow rose with curiosity. "I thought we were country cousins."

"Stop it. It's not funny. I killed him and those hunters are his comrades. We should do something with his body. Don't you think?" I pulled on his sleeve pouting slightly.

"No. Let's just get out of here. They can come to pick up their man later." He baited me. When his body is found the evidence will lead to me. The last person he was seen with.

I smacked him in the chest, hardly bothering him. "Fine, I can get rid of Donteiron. I can not always do this though." He reached into his pocket and pulled out another potion like the last. Spilling the contents over Donte's body it burned and sizzled into a puddle of goop slowly turning into a black liquid. Guess some servant might be scrubbing him from the pagoda instead.

"Then you better teach me how."

"One day we will leave the dead in our wake without a worry, My Love."

"That day will be the day our people shall be free."

He pecked my lips and guided me out of the maze.

The garden had mostly cleared out as the crowd rotated to the hunting grounds in preparation. The women were setting up little picnic areas as their ladies in training waited on them hand in foot. They snacked, drank, and gossiped waiting for the men to bring back what they caught at sundown when the hunt ended.

I had decided remaining in my dress for the hunt was better. Pants on a woman were unsettling for some men. The moronic slug-brained creatures they were. The dress would help my opponents underestimate me. If they weren't bothered they will not see me as a contender. Why mess with the little girl who they suspected could not catch a squirrel.

As we stepped onto the field a young paige approached us and brought us to General Monteros.

"I will find you after, Dear Cousin." Gavrial winked at me and ran off to secure his horse before the chase started.

The paige ran off leaving me with a very drunk and relaxed general. A pitcher of wine sat between his chubby legs while he laid on countless pillows stacked on the beautifully embroidered lawn blanket. Two older women from the flock had strayed from their group and were draped over Monteros' thick arms.

"Lady Sable, I am so glad to see you again. Drink?" He tried passing me a goblet of wine.

Shaking my head I denied him. "I would not like my aim to falter during the hunt. I plan on getting you many points. Surely you will not be disappointed, General."

He laughed vigorously and raised his glass to toast me. The two women both clinked their cups against and drank smiling drunkenly. At their age, they would be asleep before sunset if they didn't slow down.

"I have already spoken to The Prince about you joining the hunt. No one will have any qualms with you or they'll deal with him."

"My greatest thanks, General Monteros." I curtsied to show my appreciation.

"Thank me tomorrow night with that dance you promised me, Lady Sable." He took a long pull of wine from his goblet.

"I will not forget."

Monteros' servant had finally returned with a white mare saddled and ready for the hunt.

"Some gifts from the general. This is Cloud. She is fast and strong but silent like the vapors on foggy days." The young boy released the mare's reins and pointed at the bow and quiver strapped behind the saddle.

The bow was a deep cherry brown and the arrows seemed to match. He placed the weapon in my waiting hand leaving it in my care. I threw the quiver and bowstring over my shoulder. Then the boy handed me a hunter's blade wrapped delicately in a cloth. "Blades and arrows are the only weapons allowed during the hunt." He kneeled next to Cloud holding out his hands as a step to assist me to mount the large mare. I drew the blade over my shoulder and placed it in my quiver, the only place I had available to store it.

"Thank you," I told him as I stepped into the Clouds stirrups.

"Kempson, My Lady." He grabbed the reins and began tugging Cloud toward the starting point of the hunt.

"Farewell General Monteros," I called over my shoulder.

"I wish you great hunting, Lady Sable," He drunkenly slurred back to me.

The Hunters had lined up at the edge of the deep wood. Everything was the property of the King but only a small portion of the infinite forest was considered castle lands. Our chase would be confined to the woods. We could travel no farther. Murdering a contender was highly forbidden and would be punished accordingly to the laws of the kingdom.

All catches had to be presented at the starting point by sunset. If you couldn't carry it back you would not be rewarded points. The weight of the creature and rarity determined what you would earn. Whoever ranked first would be given a gift by The King tomorrow at the ball. I listened as the announcer informed us of everything we might need to be aware of.

Kempson handed me the reins wishing me luck before returning to his master. I didn't need luck though. I was a witch and I made my own luck.

Surveying the contenders I easily spotted Gavrial. I ignored the odd looks coming from my opponents seeing a woman at the starting point. Every one of them appeared robust and fearsome. Most certainly they were difficult warriors to beat. Part of this hunt was not only catching your prey it was also outsmarting your rivals and the traps laid out to slow you down. The most difficult contender was Prince Carver. This was his game and he's been undefeated till now.

Till Today.

Today I planned on beating him.