49

The moment I entered the maze I knew something was amiss. Something was strange. There were spells afoot and they weren't my own. My mind instantly became foggy and my footwork unstable. I stumbled forward focusing on Stella. Find her. Find her now.

I tried to summon our connection to see what she was seeing and it too was hazy at best. I saw the rose bushes pass her by as she skittered through the maze with haste running from something. I could taste her fright on my tongue like a bad palette. She turned and hissed at whatever was gaining ground behind her.

Trying to gather my wits I put one foot before the other and started down the path through the hedges instantly regretting building this place. When I designed it, I truly believed if I built it I would never get lost within. Whatever enchantment had been cast on my labyrinth was intended to keep me disoriented.

Reaching back out to Stella I tried to get her to turn around and look at what was chasing her but her fear was stronger than my will. Instead, I started forcing my magic into the roses of the maze. I forced them to grow and tangle until the pathways were no longer neat passages. The sound of a sword trying to hack at the vines rang out. I chased it until it stopped. The smell of smoke went up in the air. The sky too was filling with dark gray.

Stomping came from behind me and I whirled just in time to see the hooded figure had burned his way through the rose wall. He barreled toward me and I dodged down another path. Weaving and winding I moved as hastily and slyly as I could. Going so far as growing walls behind myself and opening new paths hoping to mislead them. Hearing him trailing behind me made it evident I had become his new target.

Even as the spell on the maze fogged my vision and thought; I worked out how to never get lost while the walls changed and grew around me. The maze itself had seven landmarks that would not change or move. And one of them was directly in the center. The remaining six were set in each corner. I intended to find the one in the middle and work from there. It was the statue of a fallen angel that faced the entrance of the maze. Its back was the exit. The others were gargoyles that were too similar to one another to tell apart in the miasma.

Suddenly I felt hotter as if the sun were aiming directly down at me. My eyes shifted to the sky seeing all the smoke rising above the hedges and blocking out the view.

"Ventus," I screamed trying to clear the path before my view was completely obscured.

"Ardeat," someone contradicted from behind me.

Everything erupted into flames.

I lunged forward pulling free my dagger and slashing out. A large hand gripped my wrist and twisted. The blade clattered to the ground. I kicked up and he blocked. The spell had sway over me but his mind was clear as I watched him move swifter than I could.

The fire grew higher licking up the hedge walls and daring to brush our sides as we battled. He did not move to strike me only to disarm me.

"Vinea. Ferrum." I called the roses and nothing happened. The damage they had taken was too much to summon any growth.

A pitiless laugh left his throat and I found myself trying to see below the hood. Something in that laugh triggered a sense of nostalgia. I knew this person at some point in my life. My target changed. No longer was I trying to kill him. Now I was trying to disrobe him. Aiming all my moves at his hood caused him to change his tact. Stepping back over and over he continuously put himself just out of my reach. The statue of the prince of darkness falling from heaven passed my right side. It was untouched by the blazing fires around us. How fitting?

Sooner or later he would back into the burning hedge behind him. He seemed to notice where my train of thought had headed. He glimpsed over his shoulder. I took the opportunity to grab hold of the edge of his swinging robe.

"Ardeat," I tossed his spell back at him and stepped back before I too burst into flames. The moment his concentration was broken the spell over the maze faltered. I could see clearly as the haze lifted. The fire was a living thing of its own and neither of us had control of a beast so large. The first of the fallen angels sat between us like he was watching fate unfold in the fires of hell.

A grunt escaped him before ripping his cloak off and revealing his identity. Blond hair was pulled back in a long pleat. As he turned toward me my breath caught in my throat seeing his steely blue eyes. He was not the boy I had remembered. The years we had spent apart had changed him significantly.

"Sorran!" With all the hate in the world, he glared at me. His face showed a hint of confusion before he lunged.

Long ago I had abandoned the potions that changed my appearance. They hadn't worked against any of the hunters and they could see right through my disguise. Forced to come up with a new plan I began tinkering with enchantments until I had one that was stronger than the hunter's mark that gifted the illustrious few of The Guard with True Sight.

Several pieces of jewelry were crafted, enchanted, and distributed where I saw fit. My very own piece sat on my wrist. A silver bangle engraved with my enchantment. All you had to do was envision what you wanted and the magic did the rest. Removing it restored you to your true self.

So I did just that. Brought my true self out. The silver clinked against the stone as it fell and rolled to his feet. He faltered mid-lunge, his glare changing from rage to confusion. The form before him changed from a simple housemaid to my true self.

"Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light." He quoted steeling himself.

"Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the Devil." I quoted back testing his resolve.

***

Ventus --- Wind

Ardeat --- Burn

Vinea --- Vine

Ferrum --- Blade